Milestones in Computer Technologies
Since 1980, technology has made quantum leaps in many areas but the most have occurred to computers and their technology. When one thinks about this, it appears like a "snowball" going downhill, it gets bigger and changes were more rapid. Technology in movies was not reflected much until the mid to late 1980's. One seldom saw a computer or cell phone in them, and when you did, it was done as a novelty item.
Computers evolved because of the new software games that a few companies made. These early strategy wargames were for the Apple II and sold in 1980-82. By today's standards, they appear rudimentary in execution and graphics. For most consumers, the only reason to buy a $2000 computer then were to play games. There were very few programs available, even word processing programs were hard to find.
Here are other milestones:
- 1983 - Compaq introduces the first portable computer the size of a small suitcase
- 1984 - Michael Dell, a college student, begins a computer company in his dorm room building PCs
- 1985 - Windows 1.0 is sold to the public with its very clunky interface
- 1986 - Intel intoduces the first 32-bit processor, the 386
- 1987 - VGA arrives providing video that is WAY better than CGA, EGA
- 1989 - HTML is invented, there is no WWW yet
- 1991 - The PCI bus is created by Intel
- 1993 - Mosaic web browser becomes the most popular web browser. Its creator later creates Netscape
- 1994 - Windows 95 arrives killing once and for all-MS-DOS
- 1995 - The first 3D chips appear in products
- 1996 - USB arrives
- 1997 - DVD players arrive for the computer
- 2001 - Windows XP arrives
- 2002 - Microsoft introduces the first tablet computer using XP
- 2003 - The first 64 bit CPU arrives
- 2004 - Intel's Pentium CPU arrives
- 2006 - The first Core 2 Duo arrives
- 2007 - Apple's smartphone arrives and defines what others copy
- 2009 - Windows 7 arrives
- 2010 - Apple releases the iconic iPad tablet computer
- 2012 - Windows 8 arrives. By now, with millions of smart phones owned, able to compute and do as much as a computer, many consumers do not a laptop or desktop computer.
More by this Author
The Battle for Hue, Tet 1968 was the attack on the old Imperial capital of Hue by forces of the North Vietnamese Army and South Vietnamese insurgents of the National Liberation Front during the Tet Offensive....
King Constantine was married to Germany’s Wilhelm Kaiser's sister and decided to remain neutral in WW1. In effect, the advantage was given to Germany and Turkey. The King’s Prime Minister Venizelos...
There are intentional fake news items to sway people, which were discovered in the 2016 presidential election. Then, there are stories with maybe unintentional consequences of being news.