Native American Nations of the Far West and Their Heroes: Last Navajo Code Talker Gone in 2014
WWII Code Talkers
Native North Americans of the West
As a series installment, this Hub will feature Native North American and Indigenous Peoples in Alaska, Hawaii, and the far American West.
Notice in the Images how the Thunderbird changes in appearance from Alaska across the West to New Mexico. It is thought that the concept of the Thunderbird originated with First Nations and Alaskan Natives and was transported with migratory humans through the American West.
The Thunderbird and his junior brother are often portrayed in Indigenous carved cedar poles and in cedar masks among Pacific Northwest Indigenous groups.
Nez Perce Wing Dress - Often Found In Idaho
Nations in the Western USA
- Kootenai Tribal Council
- Nez Perce Tribal Executive Committee
- Northwestern Band of Shoshoni Nation: Blackfoot, Idaho
- Shoshone-Bannock Tribe
- Blackfeet Nation
- Chippewa-Cree Business Committee
- Confederated Salish & Kootenai Tribal Council
- Crow Tribal Council
- Fort Belknap Community Council
- Fort Peck Tribal Council
- Little Shell Tribe
- Northern Cheyenne Tribe
- Eastern Shoshone Tribe : Fort Washakie WY
- Northern Arapaho Nation : Fort Washakie WY
- Northwestern Shoshoni : Rock Springs WY
Chicken Dance of the western nations differs from the east.
A Washoe Queen
- Duck Valley Shoshone-Paiute Tribes
- Reno-Sparks Indian Colony: Washoe, Paiute, Shoshone
- Skull Vally Goshutes
- Si-Te-Cah legends: Paiutes describe a tall tribe, 6.5 to 8 feet, with red hair. They were cannibals and may have built pyramids in Churchill County.
- Washo Nation: Lake Tahoe region.
- Confederated Tribes of the Goshute Reservation
- Northern Ute: Fort Duchesne UT
- Paiute Indian Tribe of Utah: Cedar City UT
- Skull Valley Band: Grantsville UT
- White Mesa Ute Council
Navajo Weaving: 19th Century
Many Arizona nations are active in businesses in Arizona:
- Ak-Chin Indian Community - Ak-Chin Farms and the Tribal Government.
- Yavapai-Apache Nation - Cliff Castle.
- Navajo Nation -Tourism has the major role in the Navajo economy, along with Diné College.
- Cocopah Indian Reservation - Tourism and Agriculture.
- Colorado River Indian Tribes - Blue Water in Parker.
- White Mountain Apache Tribe - Timber, lumber, hardware, and skiing.
- Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation - Agriculture, a sand and gravel center, and gasoline sales.
- Fort Mojave Indian Tribe - Mojave Valley and Laughlin, NV
- Gila River Indian Community - Gila River farms, sand and gravel operations, and an industrial park.
- Havasupai Indian Reservation - Tourism and related arts, crafts, and retail.
- Hopi Tribe - Agriculture and IT.
- Hualapai Tribe - The economy centers on tourism, cattle ranching, timber sales, and arts/crafts.
- Kaibab-Pauite Tribe - Economy is based on tourism, livestock, and agriculture - especially a 1,300 tree fruit orchard.
- Pascua Yaqui Tribe - Landscaping, adobe blocks, and bingo.
- Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community - A diverse economy.
- San Carlos Apache Reservation - Lumber, tourism, cattle, recreation, and retail.
- Tohono O'odham Nation - Tourism, an industrial park ,and a resort.
- Tonto Apache Tribe - Businesses in Payson
- Yavapai-Prescott Indian Tribe - Tourism, gaming, retail activities, a resort, a business park, and a shopping center.
- Fort Yuma-Quechan Tribe - Agricultural, tourism, a sand and gravel operation; RV parks, a grocery store, and a museum.
- San Juan Southern Paiute Tribe - Livestock and agriculture.
Arizona is home to at least 21 different groups of Native Americans. Additional information about the various nations or tribes may be accessed at ARIZONA INDIAN TRIBES. Among the major nations represented are the more familiar Navajo and the Apache.
New Mexico nations are often grouped into a band called a Pueblo.
There are at least 22 different nations or Pueblos in New Mexico, including the Zuni, the Laguna and the Navajo.
A comprehensive guide to these nations and groups is avaiable at the following link:
Chilkat Blanket From Alaska
Five major Native American nations comprise the Alaskan indigenous peoples, but there are multiple dozens upon dozens of bands and smaller independent groups in the state. The people of the nations and groups number around 100,000 altogether. The 5 major nations are:
The peoples living along the northern shores of Alaska are moving farther inland as the warming climate melts the pack ice and floods the shoreline. The fishing industry is declining somewhat as well.
All in all the native peoples of Alaska are more like those in the Pacfic Northwest of the USA and Canada than the Native Americans that migrated southward and into the rest of America. The Southwest nations are different in arts and culture than the states to the north, but threads of similarity can be seen.
A Tribute to Kanaka Maoli
Native Hawaiians know themselves as the Kanaka Maoli people and are descendants of early Polynesians that migrated to the Hawaiian Islands around 1500-2000 years ago, as early as near the birth of Christ. Some other Native Americans and Alaskan indigenous peoples have moved into Hawaii as well.
© 2007 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Coming to the fore in public interest and anthropology courses that look at First Nations in Western Canada, the Tsimshian People of British Columbia are becoming more well known. This Coastal People has been one of the...
DNA and other evidence have connected the Indigenous Peoples of all the nations in sub-polar regions around the Arctic Circle, as of 2011. See what this means in this article.
Since 2010, news from BLOOMBERG BUSINESSWEEK has been that Canada and Australia were little touched by The Great Recession. New jobs continue to increase.