Native American Nations of the Southeastern United States
The Southeastern Native North American Nations
While these following lists of federally- and state-recognized groups of Native North Americans are not fully inclusive, they represent major nations, bands, and independent groups among Native Americans in the Southeastern States.
Some of our indigenous or native groups are officially recognized by the US Federal Government and receive health and education assistance from the USA, but some are recognized only by the individual states, not the federal authority. Not all of these people live on reservations.
A number of groups are not officially recognized at all, but most of these nations and bands are seeking recognition. In addition, new groups often arise and petition for recognition as and these may or may not include actual Native Americans (for one example, see the Richest Native Americans).
New groups sometimes emerge through splintering away from larger groups and request recognition on either the state or federal levels. However, the recognition process can take many years to be successfully completed.
The USA is home to a number of state-recognized groups and other groups in the process of applying for and attaining either state or federal recognition. The lost of states and tribal nations below is subject to increasing in numbers, especially since the number of Native Americans in the country increased somewhat during the 2010s. US Census estimates range from 5.2 - 5.3 million full blood and mixed Native Americans.
Map of the Southeastern USA
Migration in North America
As Native Americans moved eastward from the North and the Pacific Northwest Coastal regions to fill the continent, they met Europeans that eventually drove them back from the East. Especially after the American Civil War, native peoples were driven westward and many of them onto reservations. before that war, different native nations warred among themselves and sometimes drive their defeated enemies away, including to the American West.
The American West is home to the largest number of reservations in the 21st century, while some states to the east have none at all.
More About Southeastern US Groups
- More About Native American Nations in Southeastern USA
Southeastern American States have seen substantial contact among Native Americans and Europeans, along with other immigrants for centuries. This makes for an interesting multicultural region.
Cherokee War Dance
State by State Listings
- Arkansas Band of Western Cherokee
- Chickamauga Cherokee Nation
- Chickamauga Cherokee Nation, the White River Band
- Adais Caddo
- Biloxi Chitimacha - related to the Choctaw.
- Chitimacha Tribe of Louisana - related to the Choctaw.
- Choctaw-Apache Community of Ebarb
- Clifton Choctaw Tribe
- Coushatta Tribe - related to the Choctaw.
- Four Winds Tribe Louisiana Cherokee
- Indian Township Reservation
- Jena Band of Choctaws
- Tunica-Biloxi Indian Tribe of Louisiana
- United Houma Nation - related to the Choctaw.
- Biloxi Nation
- Capinans Nation
- Choctaw Nation -- Mississippi Choctaw Reservation: Tribal Council of the Mississippi Band of Choctaws; Box 6010 - Choctaw Branch, Philadelphia MS 39350
- Moctobi Nation
- Pascagoula Nation
- Mowa band of Choctaw, Choctaw Agency. Route 1, Box 330-A, Reservation Rd. Mt. Vernon AL 36560
- Poarch band of Creek, Choctaw Agency. HCR69A, Box 85-B Atmore AL 36502
Georgia State Recognized Tribes
- American Cherokee Confederacy, Inc. 619 Pine Cone Road. Albany, Georgia 31705-6908
- Georgia Tribe of Eastern Cherokee
- Lower Muscogee Creek Tribe Route 2, Box 370. Whigham, Georgia 31797
- The Cherokee of Georgia, Saint George, Georgia 31646
Florida Nations and Bands
- Big Cypress Reservation, Seminole Agency , 6075 Stirling Rd. Hollywood FL 33024
- Brighton Reservation, Seminole Agency. 6075 Stirling Rd. Hollywood, FL 33024
- Miccosukee Reservation, Eastern Area Office. Box 440021, Tamiami Station. Miami, FL 33144
- Seminole Reservation, Seminole Agency. 6300 Stirling Road, Hollywood, FL 33024
Bands of the Gulf Coast
From Louisiana eastward and through the Florida Gulf Coast:
- Atakapa, Chitimacha, Natchez, and Tunica
Additional Native Groups in the SE United States
Native American Businesses In Southern Mississippi
- Biloxi Nation - The original name in the Biloxi pople's language is Taneks-anya or first people. It was also known as Anaxis and Annocchy, gradually becoming Biloxi. They are related to Sioux Nation.
- Capinans Nation - Related to Biloxi Nation, Pascagoula Nation; all are related to the Sioux.
- Moctobi Nation - English speakers in 1699 made up this name for a group that lived with the Biloxi and Pascagoula Nations.
- Pascagoula Nation. - This name means bread people and they made specialty breads that are still available today. Also called Mfskigula, probably actually "Muskhogeans" to the Biloxi peopl.
Native Americans in Southern Mississippi are successful in Native-owned businesses, Pow Wows, and partnerships with university study and research programs that lead to new job creation.
Native American Series Selections
- Native American Nations - Introduction
Blackfoot Tipis...Thank you, niawen (in Mohawk), for asking this question,jimmythejock. The answer will comprise more than one Hub and I hope that you find the short series informative and enjoyable. It will be...
- Native American Nations Around the World
Genetic research has shown evidence of specific Native American DNA structures throughout the Western Hemisphere as being closely related to Siberian nations in Altai that advanced to South Korea and other Siberians, some Scandinavian groups, and...
- Happy Native American New Year Meals
The Three Sisters wish you a Happy New Year! The unfamiliar may wonder whose these ladies are, but we know them to be Corn, Beans, and Squash. They are the foundation foods of many Native American groups...
More by this Author
Growing interest in researching family genealogies and in related television shows such as "Who Do You Think You Are?" that trace historic roots of top-name stars are uncovering links to Native American...
Thanksgiving 10,000 BC. Native American Nations from the First Nations in Canada to Native Americans in the USA to the Indigenous Peoples in Mexico and Central & South America are related to the global Circumpolar...
Preparing well for job interviews can help you feel much less like you were stepping off a cliff into the unknown! The following interview questions are 100 of the most-asked and most important.