North America's Endangered Creatures: Birds
North America's Endangered Birds (Photos and Videos)
- This hub celebrates the beauty of the endangered birds of North America. When possible, I use photos taken by amateur (and professional) photographers, and not photographs you have seen in publications by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, the agency which maintains a list of the threatened and endangered species here in the United States.
- Before a bird can be placed on the endangered species list, it is studied thoroughly by scientists who strive to estimate how many are remaining in the population. They also try to determine the problems threatening the species, so the listing process could take years.
- Please watch the videos included in this hub. They are exceptional and allow you to see these magnificent creatures in the wild.
- Believe it or not, the Fish and Wildlife Service currently lists 90 birds as endangered. I have tried to track down interesting photographs of as many as possible.
Photos of Endangered Birds
The Incredible Whooping Crane
Northern Aplamado Falcon
Coastal California Gnatcatcher
Puerto Rican Parrot
California Clapper Rail
Florida Grasshopper Sparrow
Cape Sable Seaside Sparrow
Hawaii Akepa (Honeycreeper)
Related Hubs on Other Endangered Animals
- Endangered Tigers
Tigers are an extremely endangered animal, with their numbers down dramatically from just one century ago. Read about their plight and what you can do to help.
- North America Animals Top 10 Endangered Species List
Many animals that once thrived in the wild on the North American Continent are now threatened with extinction. Beginning in 1973, the United States Interior Department, through the Fish and Wildlife Service, has been charged with protecting the habit
- List of Top 10 Endangered Animal Species in Asia
The rapid development of land for use by humans all over Asia poses a serious threat to many animal species, and many Asian governments do too little too late to protect their own environments. There are areas of improved awareness to the risks of ov
- World's Top 10 Endangered Animals Species List
Because of human destruction of their habitats, tropical rain forest species are at the highest risk, as are top-of-the-food-chain carnivores, other species whose geographical range is already small, and marine coral reef species. Here are 10 of the
- Endangered Species - Endangered Marine Animal Specie...
The world's oceans and the creatures that inhabit it are in trouble. Read about one animal each from among the many Whales, Porpoises, Fish, Turtles and Seals that are currently endangered and/or threatened with extinction. The causes behind these th
More by this Author
Find out how much you really know about Alexander the Great by taking this free multiple-choice quiz on him. Designed to aid homeschoolers and all students studying Alexander the Great.
- 0Psychology and Your Memory: A Multiple-Choice Quiz for High School Students and Homeschoolers Preparing for College
This is a multiple-choice quiz on the psychology of memory. It is designed to aid home schooled students as well as all high school-age students prepare for psychology courses they may take in college.
This is a how-to article on growing camellia flowers from cuttings. If you have a beautiful camellia plant, you can actually "clone" it!