Interesting Facts about Pandas
Here are some really interesting facts about Giant and Red pandas. I am sure you'll enjoy reading these. Inform me and others about your vies about this article by commenting below.
Pandas can live up to 35 years.
A wild panda's diet is 99% based on bamboo.
The female giant pandas normally produce a single young one each year.
They are pink when they are born.
There are two different species of pandas, i.e. Giant Panda and Red Panda.
The Red panda cubs open their eyes about 18 days after birth, but not completely until 30 to 40 days.
The Red panda is also known as lesser panda.
The Red Panda is the state animal in the Indian state of Sikkim.
The Red Panda differs from the Giant Panda in its diet. This panda adds a bit of fruits to its routine diet of bamboos.
Giant pandas normally get able to breed at four to eight years of age and can reproduce till they are about twenty years old.
Estimated population of pandas in the world is less than 1000 individuals.
Giant pandas live at elevations of 5000 to 1000 feet.
A fully grown panda would reach the length of 5-6 feet.
Male giant pandas are larger than the females. Males weigh up to 250 pounds in the wild while females can weigh up to 220 pounds.
Did you know that they are good tree climbers?
Panda Diplomacy is quite old and it dates back to the Tang Dynasty. It's a term that describes China's use of Giant Pandas as gifts to foreign nations. Perhaps the most famous incident of Panda Diplomacy was when Mao Zedong gifted the United States with the pandas Ling-Ling and Hsing-Hsing in 1972.
Pandas are most active during the day time.
Giant pandas get much of the water they need to drink from bamboos in the wild.
Panda's only digest 20% of what they eat. The other 80% is excreted.
The Western world did not know that anything like Pandas exist until 1869 when a French missionary, Pere David, returned to Europe with a panda skin.
Pandas have been on earth for about 3 million years.
Pandas are considered "living fossils" because many of the species they co-existed with are now extinct.
More by this Author
The bamboo palm (chamaedorea seifrizii) is a beautiful, commonly kept houseplant that works as an air purifier. It has a bamboo like stem and a few of these stems grow from an underground bulb of roots. Leaves are flat,...
There are more insects in one square mile of rural land than there are human beings on the entire earth. The tsetse fly is found only in Africa although there are twenty-two different specie of the tsetse fly. In...
I have collected these random facts from various sources on the internet(like Wikipedia), so they may or may not be true. Now please proceed to reading these interesting random bits. Butterflies cannot fly if their...