Precautions in Storage and Handling of Acetylene Cylinders
Cylinders should always be stored in a specifically assigned storage location and never lashed to handrails or inside accommodation spaces. Other precautions include;
- Store vertically (not horizontally) in a dry and well ventilated area at temperatures below 35 degree Celsius more than 6 meters from oxygen cylinders.
- Use the cylinders in the order received from the supplier.
- Except when the cylinders are actually in use, keep cylinder valves closed and use valve protection caps even when empty.
- Store empty and full cylinders separately.
- Post conspicuous signs forbidding smoking or open flames.
- Protect acetylene cylinders from sea water, accumulations of ice or snow, and screen them from continuous direct rays of the sun.
- Avoid dropping a cylinder or subjecting it to abnormal shock.
- Check cylinder contents by weight, by using the factor of 0.92 m3 / kg and not by pressure.
- Never attempt to repair or alter cylinders or valves.
- Never attempt to transfer acetylene from a cylinder.
- Never use acetylene cylinders for any purpose other than as acetylene cylinders.
- Avoid handling electric welding equipment where acetylene cylinders may come into contact with the welding apparatus or electrical circuits.
- When moving acetylene cylinders, avoid abnormal shocks.
- Ensure all valves are closed before cylinders are moved.
- When loading or offloading acetylene cylinders use a platform, cargo, cradle or net.
- Never drag the cylinders, which must be carried upright.
"Fire Safety at Sea" by Dr. James Cowley
More by this Author
Linear resistors are those in which current produced is directly proportional to the applied voltage. Their current versus applied voltage is straight and linear. In other words, their resistance remains constant. ...
It sometimes necessary to obtain an approximation to the power of the ship without restoring to model experiments, and several methods are available. One system which has been in use for several years is the admiralty...
Shell and Tube, Plate Heat Exchangers Advantages Simple and Compact in size Heat transfer efficiency is more Can be easily cleaned No extra space is required for dismantling Capacity can be increased by...