Rainbow, The Beautiful Phenomenon
Do you remember this Lyric? "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"
Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high,
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby.
Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true.
I think we all familiar with this song. was very beautiful classic ballad song. This song was sung by by Judy Garland for "The Wizard of Oz" movie.
Spiritual Side about "Rainbow"
This song told to us about love, passion and natural message. Rainbow is always beautiful. What do you think when you see the rainbow? Surprise, shock, or pray. We told to our heart by whispering a word....WOW...amazing. Of course, God create the rainbow to share love with us. God gave us a sign to all human in the earth, with the purpose we love peace and sharing "love message" to others. Why the rainbow appeared after rain and then the sun was shining too? Because of God also want to share the warmth to all human in this earth. So when the rainbow was appearing. Why we don't pray a while and giving "thanks" to God.
Science Side about "Rainbow"
I remember when I was teaching to my student in the class. In the science lesson I asked to them a question about the color of rainbow. "Student, please mention the color inside the rainbow!" They all answer, "Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet". And I said again, "good answer, student!" This time I want to explain the detail of rainbow in science side.
Rainbows are optical and meteorological phenomenon. It was caused the spectrum of light that (almost) continuous to appear in the sky when the sun shines passed the rain drops. From this phenomenon has caused monochromatic light become seven colors. The occurrence of the rainbow is a refraction of light. When it was refracted, the light will change direction. This distortion usually occurs when light moves from one medium to another. This happens because the light moves with different speeds in different mediums.
Rainbow is the result of sunlight refracting. The sun's rays reached the earth's surface must pass through layers of atmosphere. If there is a water vapor in the layer of atmosphere, then this layer has a function as a refraction tool according to the each wavelength of light. This phenomenon can be seen from the color description: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet.
In this nature not only prism which can describe by the light. Drops of water, which came from rain water for example. This is one example of objects that are available in nature which can describe the white light. When a beam of white light on a drop of water, these water behave like a prism to produce various colors inside the rainbow.
Note: We can only see a maximum of half-circle rainbow. To see a rainbow complete a loop, then we have to stand on higher ground. Please see the picture below.
Types of Rainbows.
We can see many types of rainbow. Now we learn all about type of rainbows below.
- Classic rainbows. Why it called the classic rainbow? Because it contain six color. Such as: red, orange, yellow, green, blue and violet. Scientist said that it depend the atmosphere condition and the time this rainbow appeared.
- Circular Rainbows. This rainbow it really looks like a perfect circular arc (with a radius around 42 degrees). Although a little difficult to see this rainbow because of land blocking the view.
- Secondary Rainbows. This rainbow is usually thinner than the primary rainbow. Secondary rainbow was known for certain characteristics: spectrum was shown in reverse order from a primary rainbow.
- Red Rainbows. Red Rainbows are usually seen at the dusk when the thickness of the earth's atmosphere filter becomes blue. The color more red or orange, it was refract light water. The red edge spectrum is greatly increased.
- Sundogs. We can see this rainbow in the sky on a sunny winter day. Sundogs created when the sun was shining through high ice crystals in the atmosphere. Sundogs are red on the inside and purple on the outside with the rest of the crowded spectrum.
- Fogbows. Fogbows was rarely seen because certain parameters that must be adjusted to create them. For example, the light source should be behind the observer. Another criteria is the fog behind the observer must be so thin. Finally the sun directly shines through the fog.
- Waterfall Rainbows. We can often have seen this phenomenon near the waterfall. When you go there near the waterfall, don't missed this beautiful moment. The fog on waterfall was mixed into the flow of air in the atmosphere.
- Fire Rainbows. This rainbow was happen because of optical effect. This phenomenon can be seen only in certain specific conditions. Like: cirrus clouds, which act like prisms should at least be at an altitude of 20 000 feet and the sun should highlight when they are at an altitude of 58-68 degrees.
- Moonbows. Moonbows also much more difficult to seen because of rain storms have to passed. Ideally, a bright full moon wasn't obscured by clouds.
We can see all the types of rainbows below. Please enjoy all the pictures.
More by this Author
Princess is a mother of the country. There are many princess in the world. They like in fairy tale.
From the 60 countries which have winter season. Only several countries have beautiful scenery when the snow comes.
The first time I never thought that Russia has many beautiful tourism places to visit. Russia is a country which stretches along Eastern Europe and northern Asia.