Rizal in Madrid
Early in August, 1890 – Rizal arrived in Madrid
- He tried all legal means to seek justice for his family and the calamba tenants, but to no avail.
- He almost fought to duels – one with Antonio Luna and the other to Wenceslao E. Retana.
- Leonor Rivera married a British Engineer.
Failure to Get Justice for family
Upon arrival in Madrid, Rizal immediately sought the help of the Filipino Colony, the Asociacion Hispano – Filipina, and the Liberal Spanish newspapers (La Justicia, El Globo, La Republica, El resumen).
M. H. Del Pilar – acted as his lawyer.
Dr. Dominador Gomez – secretary of Asociacion Hispano – Filipina.
More terrible news reached Rizal in Madrid:
- From Silvestre Ubaldo, he received a copy of the ejectment order by the Dominicans against Francisco Rizal and other calamba tenants.
- From Saturnina, he learned of the deportation of Paciano, Antonio Lopez, Silvestre Ubaldo, Teong, and Dandoy to Mindoro
- His parents were forcibly ejected from their home and were then living in the house of Narcisa.
Rizal’s Eulogy to Panganiban
Jose Ma. Panganiban – his friend and his talented co-worker in the propaganda.
August 19, 1890 – date of the death of Jose Ma. Panganiban because of a lingering illness.
Aborted Duel with Antonio Luna
End of August, 1890 – Rizal attended a social reunion of the Filipinos in Madrid.
- Wine was served in the reunion.
- After drinking so many glasses, the guests became more loquacious.
- Antonio Luna became drunk.
- Luna was bitter because of his frustrated romance with Nellie Boustead
- He was blaming Rizal for his failure.
- Luna uttered certain unsavory remarks for Nellie.
- Rizal heard him and challenge for a duel.
- The Filipinos were shocked of the incident.
- They tried to pacify Rizal and Luna, pointing out to both that such a duel would damage their cause in Spain.
- Luna, when he became sober, realized that he had made a fool and he apologized to Rizal
Rizal Challenges Retana to Duel
On another occasion, he challenged another man to duel – Wenceslao E. Retana.
– The bitter enemy of Rizal in Pen.
– A talented Spanish scholar was then a press agent of the friars in Spain.
– Used to attack the Filipinos, including Rizal, in various newspapers in Madrid.
– He imprudently wrote an article in La Epoca an anti-Filipino newspaper in Madrid, asserting that the family and friends of Rizal had not paid their rents so that they were ejected from their lands in Calamba by the Dominicans.
- Such an insult stirred Rizal to action.
- Immediately, he sent his seconds to Retana with his challenge to a duel.
- Retana at once published a retraction and apology in the newspapers.
- The incident silenced Retana’s pen against Rizal.
- Years afterward, Retana wrote the first book-length biography of the greatest Filipino hero, whose talents he came to recognize and whose martyrdom he glorified.
Infidelity of Leonor Rivera – Rizal lost his gold watch chain with a locket containing the picture of Leonor Rivera, his beloved sweetheart while he attended a play in the Teatro Apollo together with his friends, and that incident proved to be a bad omen.
December, 1890 – Rizal received a letter from Leonor, announcing her coming married with an Englishman.
February 15, 1891 – Blumentritt replied to the letter of Rizal and comforted Rizal when Rizal confide to him about his agony and broken heart.
Rizal-Del Pilar Rivalry – In 1890, there arise an unfortunate rivalry between Rizal and del Pilar for supremacy.
January 1, 1891 (New Year’s Day) – the Filipinos of Madrid met to reorganize the Asociacion Hispano – Filipina and to elect a new leader who would act as a spokesman of the Filipino cause in Europe.
Filipinos were divided into two rival camps:
· Rizalistas or Rizal’s friends
· Pilaristas or del Pilar’s friends
Rizalistas – worked hard for the election of Rizal.
Pilaristas – fought for del Pilar’s election
Back to Brussels – Since Rizal walked out from the election for the new leader because he found out that only 19 people voted him, he go back to Brussels.
February, 1891 – he left Madrid and proceeded to Biarritz, where he was a welcomed guest of the Bousted at their Villa Eliada.
Valentin Ventura – Rizal’s friend and companion in Paris, where Rizal staying with him.
April 4, 1891 – He wrote to Jose Ma. Basa, expressing his wish to live in Hongkong and practice medicine.
Middle of April 1891 – Rizal turned to Brussels for one reason, to finish his second novel.
More by this Author
3 Basic Areas in Ensuring Proper Sanitation Standards in the Food Production Facility · Personal hygiene ...
Brief history of the Relational Model The relational model was first proposed by E. F. Codd in his seminal paper “A relational model of data for large shared data banks”. This paper is now generally...
The PC (Program Counter) contains the memory address of the instruction to be executed. During execution, the contents of the PC are updated to point to the next instruction. Every time that an instruction is to be...