Sex Education - How it affects the spread of HIV/AIDS and other STDs
The National Epidemiology Institute (NEI) of the Philippines, recently issued an alarming survey on the youth's vulnerability on the spread of HIV/AIDS (Human Immunodeficiency Virus/ Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome) and other sexually-transmitted diseases (STDs).
It was found out that 99 percent of HIV/AIDS inflicted persons are sexually related while the remaining percentage were caused by contaminated blood during transfusion. Most of them are OFWs (Overseas Filipino Workers).
According to the recent statistics, the median age of those PWA (persons with AIDS) is 24 years old.
These alarming realities can be attributed to:
1) lack of knowledge on sex education
2) unprotected sex
3) using social networks for meet ups on casual sex partner
The promiscuity of youth is the leading factor as to why the spread of STDs and HIV/AIDS are increasing.
In this country where the issue about the integration of sex education in school is becoming the banner theme of the church, what do we expect about our youth but to suffer the consequences of unprotected sex.
Even the use of condom became an issue when one of the counties in Makati City issued an ordinance that a doctor's prescription in order to buy such simple protective sex device. what a waste to delve on this topic if the major sectors of the society will not help on the education of the people about SEX.
Sex education is a broad term used to describe education about:
1. sexual anatomy,
2. sexual reproduction,
3. sexual intercourse,
4. reproductive health,
5. emotional relations,
6. reproductive rights and responsibilities,
8. contraception and other aspects of sexuality.
When it comes to sexuality, information about its entire aspects include:
1. body image,
2. sexual orientation,
3. sexual pleasure,
9. sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and how to prevent them
10. and birth control methods.
Sex Education 101 with Melanie Griffith c/o MilkMoneyFour
Starting at home, parents should clearly provide answers to the questions being asked by their children regarding sex.
Personally, this hubber didn't find the exact answer on sex until he entered his elementary grades and during the period of puberty or adolesence.
PARENTS' involvement regarding SEX
Proper guidance to their children should be the goal of parents. A one-on-one talk should be administer and imparting true information should happen between them.
Teachers can provide various information in school regarding sex. As parents at home, they should also be the second parents of the students, informing them about the right attitude and behavior towards sexuality.
Reproduction Health Bill - The Philippine Scene
As of this writing, the debate about the pros and cons of Reproductive Health Bill in the Philippines is a hot topic, even at the far flung barangays of the country.
The boxing legend-turned-legislator, Congressman Emmanuel 'Manny ' Paquiao, initiated the move to file a legislation opposing the implementation of RH bill.
Meanwhile, pro-RH bill Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago reacted with Congressman Manny's stand.She opined that it's already written in the Constitution and the move to implement has long been started, although the full-blown program will just be staged this year under the administration of President Benigno 'Noynoy' Aquino III.
The harsh realities of family life in the country inspired several legislators to push through with the bill and for several reasons, this hubber will agree with their synchronized decision.
- Too many children in meager-income households equals poverty; parents cannot provide sufficient food on more than 5 offspring; much more with education and other basic needs. These children will undertake some roles of their parents in order to survive.
- Unwanted children due to teenage pregnancies are taken care of at many orphanages. These happened due to unprotected sex as those teenagers will continue to study or focus on other priorities in life.
- Crimes increase as the need of fathers to provide comfort for their families lead them to commit or succumbed to illegal activities.
- The government cannot provide adequate jobs to its large population.
This hubber was also alerted by his cousin (don't want to get exposed), who's working at the Philippine Legislators' Committee on Population and Development (PLCPD) about the scenario of two opposing forces at the Congress. This is my answer to her invitation to support the RH Bill. Most of them are women, trying to correct the notions of the Catholic church that this will violate God's teaching. My cousin reasoned out that:
- It's been a fact that condoms, pills and other contraceptives are already existing in the country during the American occupation in the early 19th century. I bet they introduced it in the archipelago.
- The advocacy on population control started so long ago that many mothers were able to get a thing or two about the birth control methods that are available at the rural health centers and the like.
With the mediation of the Catholic church, it will be another highly contested debate as media mileage started to collate important data between the two factions.
My salute goes to these courageous women in the Congress headed by Rizza Hontiveros-Baraquiel, a former media personality-turned-legislator who is very vocal about the RH Bill.
It's not only an issue among women who get pregnant but to men who should be responsible in taking care of their families.
RH Bill Debate will surely be SEX EDUCATION at the Congress.
More by this Author
Have you heard about the popularity of Coco Juice os Buko Juice in the USA today? Americans are craving for this health juice drink instead of soda in order to combat obesity and other health deficiencies. Read more...
My salute to the heroism of Efren Penaflorida, a very dedicated educator who's works, with awards or not, are inspiring other people to help educate those children whose families are incapable to support them.
Ever heard of sweet rice cake? Perhaps not, when you're still not living here in the Philippines. Let me teach you on how to make this Filipino delicacy. Get ready with your sweet tooth.