Some Surprising Facts You Don't Know about Moammar Ghadafi of Libya: elite Amazon bodyguards, Ukranian nurses, and more
Now that the dictator of Libya, Moammar Ghadafi is dead, all sorts of interesting details have emerged about his life, and there's a lot of juicy tidbits.
I mean, who'd have known that he had a crush on... Condeleeza Rice? (No, I'm NOT joking!)
Here are some interesting facts about this dictator, who had sure lived an interesting life. I hope you enjoy learning about these facts as I had digging them up.
- Ghadafi has a group of female virgin bodyguards, graduated from his special military academy.
- The number of bodyguards vary, but is believed to number two hundred or more
- Ghadafi considers the bodyguards 'empowering' for women in generral
- Yes, they are all virgins, and they swore celibacy (not to marry or to have sex)
- Yes, they all swore an oath to protect him with their lives.
- They train daily in various soldier skills, from guns to hand-to-hand combat to physical training
- Some do wear high heel boots and designer sunglasses, others wear normal boots
- All are supposedly hand-picked by Ghadafi himself.
The Ukrainian Nurses
- Ghadafi is always accompanied by at least one Ukrainian nurse, usually Galyna Kolotnytska (38 years old). In fact, he refuse to travel without her.
- There are at least four Ukrainian nurses. Somehow, Ghadafi don't trust Libyan nurses (but does accept Libyan female bodyguards... weird).
- This fact was among one of the thousands of diplomatic cables leaked by Wikileaks, where Ms. Kolotnytska was described as "voluptuous blonde".
- Another Ukrainian nurse that was identified was Oksana Balinskaya, who wrote a series of articles about her experiences as Ghadafi's nurses for Newsweek. She's 24.
- The nurses swear that Ghadafi never have sex with them. They hated the newspapers that called the nurses "Ghadafi's Harem".
- Oksana said Ghadafi just likes to hire beautiful people (he picked her out of a lineup)
And a few more surprises...
- Apparently has a crush on... Condeleeza Rice... yes, the former American Secretary of State
- Calls Rice his "darling black African woman", after her visit to Tripoli in 2008
- Reportedly gave Rice $200000 worth of gifts during the visit
- Soldiers who stormed Ghadafi's palace reportedly found a photo album full of Rice's photos.
- Refused to travel without his special bullet-resistant tent, which is so heavy it must be carried in a separate transport plane
- Refused to walk up more than 35 steps, hates upper floors and is deathly afraid of elevators.
- Refused to fly more than 8 hours at a time, ALWAYS schedules a rest stop on long trips
- Enjoys horse racing and... flamenco dancing. Made an unscheduled stop in Spain to catch a Flamenco performance.
- Hands out gold watches with his picture to his staff every year, always on September 1st. (And they are worth a bit of money).
I hope you've enjoyed this little expose of Moammar Ghadafi and his secret habits and phobias.
More by this Author
Ever wonder where did personal armor came from, how did it develop, and where will it go from here? This explains it all.
Germany was willing to spend a lot of money on the "wonder weapons" in World War II research in search of something to crush the Allies. Here are 5 of the forgotten inventions.
Multi-level marketing, i.e. MLM / network marketing, has five fundamental flaws that you need to know before you join.