25 Strange Animal Facts
Weird Facts About Animals
Welcome to the world of strange, but true, animal facts. No one should walk through life without having a few bits of trivia to shower on your family and friends. Committing a handful of these intriguing critter facts to your conversational repertoire is sure to capture the attention of every animal lover you meet.
10 Strange Facts About Sea Creatures
1. If blue is your favorite color, you will be happy to learn that some Lobsters are, in fact, electric blue in color.
2. A long time ago, the bones of cuttlefish were used to make toothpaste. I'm betting they discontinued this practice due to a certain "fishy"—rather than minty—freshness it left on your breath.
3. If you want to impress your friends at a tasting party, you should consider taking a catfish along. They have ten times as many taste buds as humans.
4. You may ask why wild pigs are on a sea creature's list. It is because there is a beach in the Bahamas where you can slather on your sunscreen then go swimming with wild pigs. No kidding!
5. Some varieties of jellyfish would be quite handy during an underwater blackout. This is because they glow in the dark.
6. Possibly the best choice for a Valentine's day dinner would be a steamy-hot dish of cockleshells—small saltwater clams—the tiny creatures are heart-shaped, after all. Now that sounds like a real romantic starter!
7. The long snout—technically a tusk—of the narwhal, is used to determine any changes in the weather.
8. The oceans most intelligent and friendly being well known as being the dolphin. These bright smiling sea dwellers evolved—in attitude as well as intelligence—from early camels and giraffes. Who knew!?
9. Like our agile friend the goat, an octopus has rectangular shaped pupils in its eyes.
10. You would think that a creature named "dogfish" would be the more likely barking species. In actuality, the flesh-eating fish known as "Piranha" is the species of finned beast that sports a dog-like bark. (see video below)
Barking Piranha Fish
Unusual Animal facts Quiz
Big Red Spider
10 Wierd Land Animal Facts
1. Arachnophobes are sure to find this a hard fact to face; but you are probably never more than 6-feet away from a spider at any given time.
2. Not only one of the largest land mammals, elephants certainly can hold their own on the water, too. These huge pachyderms can swim for as many as six hours in a single stretch.
3. If you need the most milk from your cows, turn on the tunes. A study shows cows give more milk when listening to classical music.
4. The odd, but huge, giant anteater can be 6 feet in length. The strange fact about this critter is that its mouth is only about the size of a plump cranberry.
5. Almost everyone has heard of carpenter ants. But, did you know some wasps actually use tiny rocks as hammers when building their nests?
Snail Slime Lotion
6. Gross, but true; snail slime can be used to soften skin. (Yuck, not in a million years!)
7. A sloth has a lot more to worry about than just being on time... what with about 1,000 busy beetles living in its fur most of the time! Sounds creepy...
8. A horse never breathes through its mouth unless it is experiencing an emergency; all other times, it breaths through its nose.
9. A giraffe sleeps about 1½ hours a day.
10. A tiny water spider—argyroneta aquatica—spins a silk bubble that stores oxygen. It can breath and consume its prey under water using the bubble for up to 24-hours. (See video below)
Water Spider (Argyroneta Aquatica) Building An Oxygen Bell
Cat Tongue Hooks
5 Amazing Critter facts
1. That rough feeling of a cat's tongue is caused by tiny hooks that are used for grooming its fur. Up close, these hooks are quite an unexpected discovery.
2. Use caution when handling your pet rat. These abundant rodents are very ticklish!
3. A Guinea pig will jump straight up in the air when it gets excited.
4. Keep your fingers crossed, because you may be lucky enough to be the 1 in 1,000 humans who cannot sense the musky scented spray of a skunk.
5. 99.9% of your DNA is the same as every other person on earth. But, that .1% variable is equal to more than three million differences between your genomes and any other human in the world.
What You Think Really Does Matter!
Are you a trivia fan?See results without voting
More by this Author
The story for kids about the mythological god Zeus. How he was saved from certain death as a baby, to becoming the all-powerful master of the universe. Children will discover some familiar names while learn how they are...
You will find a ton of facts about the black widow spider. Is the male spider poisonous? How come a bite can kill you? How to handle first aid after a bite, and of course how to kill this eight-legged freak! Tips for...
Discover some pretty common reasons why your female dog is humping. You will also find simple techniques for stopping humping behavior in your k9.