The Ten BEST Things About Being An Only Child, Part 1/2
One of a Kind-Breaking the Mold
Being the only child is fantastic. The only child is an alpha birth order and is the first born magnified. Here are the ten BEST things about being the Only Child in the family-the countdown starts right now.
(10) You receive your parents' undivided attention. You have no siblings to compete with nor vie for your parents attention. In other words, you have your parents all to YOURSELF. How wonderful!
(9) Having your room and belongings all to yourself. There are no siblings scrounging around and "borrowing" your belongings at all times during the days and nights. Your belongings are actually where you put them! What a great peace of mind and how nice that is!
(8) Privacy galore! You have ample quiet time to think and to be yourself. There are never any interfering and bothersome siblings to disturb you every five minutes. How lucky can you get!
(7) Having utter peace and quiet in the house. You have no squabbling younger siblings constantly causing disturbances. Furthermore, there are no siblings constantly coming and going, making a raucous hence there is plenty of quiet, uninterrupted time to explore and enjoy personal time.
(6) Not being slated to mandated sibling roles as the quiet one, smart one, beautiful/handsome one, athletic one, and/or other roles ad infinitum. You are free to develop your unique individual personal. You do not have to compete emotionally, physically, and financially with other siblings.
(5) Never ever being compared to a sibling-ever!. Thank God ! You are loved for your uniqueness. This translates into your developing high self-confidence and having a good sense of self. Furthermore, there will NEVER be an issue of favoritism as YOU are the CENTER of your parents' universe and will ALWAYS be!
(4) Having a rich imagination and being creative. There are no siblings who can be built-in censors constantly telling you that your ideas are stupid and lame. You also do not have to conform to the sibling groupthink consensus. As a result of not having any siblings, you are quite free to develop your human potential in any avenue that you want!
(3) Being self-contained and having a sense of self-control. As an only child, you grew up in an adult environment with your parents. You learned adult mannerisms and behaviors very early. You are less childish and more mature than people with siblings.
(2) You can do things independently, You are not needy. As an only child, you rely on yourself to do many things. This results in you developing independence at a very young age. You are quite comfortable doing things by yourself. In essence, you believe in and practice the art of self-reliance.
(1) Being comfortable with people in authority. You, as an only child, grew up in an adult environment. Your parents were the main focus of your interactions. When you had problems, you discussed it with them. When you had disagreements, you voiced them without worry. Based upon your interactions with your parents, you have learned to interface well with any adult and are quite comfortable doing so. You are not fearful of authority figures!
You now have my synopsis on the ten best things about being an only child.
© 2011 Grace Marguerite Williams
More by this Author
Words can either soothe or hurt others. There is POWER in words. Negative words can hurt even more than physical hurts. Negative words can irreparably destroy a child's fragile self-esteem....
.Oldest & only children are both firstborns. Firstborns are known to be authoritative, responsible and..........uncompromising. These two birth orders are ALPHA in MORE WAYS than one................
Favoritism is a normative fact of life in multichild families of 2 children or more. Parents deny it but it happens. Favoritism affects children in the family different ways-positively & negatively.