The pros and cons to a career as an educator.
I am an online tutor, who teaches students from various parts of the globe. Prior to this, I had been a lecturer at college level and had also trained students in personality development programs. I have also worked in Industry. I have been working in the Education field right after my professional education. I am also a mother to a smart toddler. I personally view teaching and learning as a dynamic and interactive process.
Generally, Teaching is considered a highly noble profession, most suited especially for women. Through their intelligence, patience and wisdom, they attempt to not only hone the learner's intellect and aptitude but also, create a well-rounded personality. Teaching has an influence in developing ones mind and character and also gives the satisfaction of having sparked the light of knowledge and dispelled the clouds of ignorance. Teacher has to be a friend, philosopher and guide to his wards.
Just like any other career, it has its pros and cons.
Pros of Being an Educator
- The joy of teaching and enjoying pleasant students.
- Teaching a favorite content area.
- Teachers have the potential to make a difference in the lives of youth.
- Helping students means molding their future/lives.
- Good teachers can bring out the best in every student.
- Being able to be home with own children on breaks and holidays. Summer vacation, spring break, Sick days, One day off/month, national holidays off.
- Parental and administrative support
- Shared values among families, teachers, and students
- High academic standards
- A teacher runs his or her own class.
- A teaching career follows a family friendly schedule.
- Teachers can use their creativity.
- Can learn more on human behaviour by learning student behavior.
- More freedom in case of online educators and college teachers.
- It can also be a second career for those who have retired from professional services.
Cons of Being an Educator
- Student attitudes or spoiled students
- Preparation for various classes
- Class load
- Achievement-test score pressure
- Apathy of students
- Poor pay in comparison to other professionals
- Involves lot of hard work (work wise).
- Benchmarks and standardized tests
- The loopholes and procedures you need to go through to get students the help or additional support they need.
- Today’s kids don't know values like respect, discipline, morale, etc.
- Thankless hours of hard work and effort (return wise).
- Sometimes parents think they can control you because they pay for their children's education.
- Not many resources as public schools because money is always a big issue.
- Fewer opportunities for professional development
- The private schools in some places (worldwide) are affiliated with religious beliefs.
- Depending on the school district, safety many be a concern.
- The job also requires attention to children who have trouble fitting in or are from multi-problem families.
- This profession is not only Teaching, but also Professional Growth, Leadership and Student Success, innovation in teaching methods, delivery, learning assessment, or use of technology in instruction, and so on.
- This field requires different skills for different levels (nursery schools, middle schools, high schools, colleges, universities, institutes, special schools etc). Each level calls for a different expertise.
- This profession requires dedication, perseverance, patience, experience in co-curricular, keenness to take on responsibility, tact, and the ability to get along with all kinds of people are essential.
More by this Author
Here's a detailed description of the history of the famous Kachamkurissi Temple of Kollengode, Palakkad of Kerala State of India.
old newspaper sheets internet glue internet acrylic paint and brush internet Materials required for the project: 1) Old newspaper sheets 2) Glue or white adhesive 3) Water 4) Acrylic paint (any color of your...
Kids, nowadays always comes up with some school projects and we have to sit with them or help them or at times, even do the project completely by ourselves. Well, this was a rather difficult project.