Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable? - Explained why!
Tomato fruit or vegetable
Is the tomato a fruit or vegetable and why is it so? Let's take a look at these questions in detail and for certain you won't be confused anymore. The question - 'Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable' has always been lurking around most of our minds and it's about time that we get detailed answers.
You may wonder why the confusion in the first place! There's a simple cause and the cause is none other than - perception! Each and everyone has their very own view of life right? Similarly different people see tomatoes in different ways.
Botanists and the common man think in different ways and when it comes to the common man there are huge variations when it comes to tomatoes. 50% of the people consider it as a vegetable whereas others take it for granted that it's a fruit. Below you'll find a detailed explanation of why some people consider it a vegetable and also why others call the tomato a fruit.
Tomato fruit or vegetable
When you first came to this article what were your thoughts about the tomato?See results without voting
The Tomato as a Vegetable
I've asked some of the people I met recently at university - "What's your view - Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable?" Around 70% of them said it's a vegetable. I just said fine and carried on my conversation. Some of the main reasons as to why people consider the tomato to be a vegetable include:
- Tomatoes are often used while cooking - Plenty of meals especially in Asia and Africa use tomatoes as an ingredient and you'll even find tomatoes being used excessively in Europe as well as the Americas in the preparation of various meals - including pizza toppings. Since in these cases the tomatoes aren't being consumed like the other fruits we eat, people tend to place them in the vegetable category.
- Also, the US Supreme Court ruled pizza as a vegetable right? And, that was one of the biggest rulings for the tomato kingdom! That's what made more people think that the tomato is a vegetable as well - since pizzas had tomatoes too as toppings.
- Sauce - Yum! Don't we all just love it? At least most of us? It's hard to imagine life without tomato sauce. Since sauces are processed we take it for granted that tomatoes are vegetables being processed.
- When you go shopping where do you find tomatoes? Most of the grocery stores place tomatoes in the vegetable section and this is the single largest factor that has influenced people into thinking that the tomato is a vegetable.
These are just a few of the reasons that have made people consider tomatoes to be vegetables. But, the fact is tomatoes are fruits biologically as explained later. However, remember that you're not wrong at all if you consider tomatoes to be vegetables as we do use them as vegetables too as we've seen through the above facts.
"Knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit, wisdom is the understanding that you shouldn't use it in a fruit salad."
The tomato as a Fruit
As you may have guessed, around 30% of the people that I asked said that they think that a tomato is a fruit and that's the right answer in terms of botany. So, lets see the proof that suggests that the tomato is a fruit:
- Fruits are parts of the plant that arise from the pollination of a flower. Tomatoes are developed after the tomato flower is pollinated and therefore, that makes it clear that a tomato is a fruit.
- Also, any part of the plant that houses the seeds or gives rise to new plants is considered the fruit of the plant. The tomato does house the seeds and therefore, it's a fruit isn't it?
These are the main reasons that have led to the conclusion that a tomato is a fruit and not a vegetable. Take a look at the definition of a fruit according to Wikipedia.
A Cool video - Well done I say!
Remember that the beans in this video should be on the fruits side in reality as they too bear seeds and are fruits rather than vegetables. In fact most of our vegetables are botanically fruits and not veggies. Carrots on the other hand are vegetables.
The spread of Tomatoes
The scientific name of a tomato is Solanum lycopersicum. The tomato plant bears a FRUIT which is usually red and edible either raw or cooked. Tomato is basically of South American origin and it spread across the world thanks to Spanish colonisations. So, thanks to the colonisations the tomato is one of the main ingredients in various dishes across the world and when we use it none of us actually bother whether the tomato is a fruit or vegetable.
The final say
Let’s try to make it clear not just for tomatoes but all fruits and vegetables.
Vegetables: - Any part of the plant that doesn’t enclose a seed or that isn’t formed due to pollination of a flower is termed as a vegetable. Therefore you can now confidently say that roots, bulbs, flowers, stems and leaves are vegetables and not fruits
Fruits: - Fruits are either with seeds or seedless formed due to the pollination of a flower. If artificial pollination is carried out you get seedless fruits. Therefore you now know that the tomato is a fruit and not a vegetable.
It doesn’t matter whether you consider a tomato as a fruit or a vegetable because overall it’s delicious in any way that it’s consumed. It’s got loads of health benefits as well. However, if you're doing something official go ahead with the tomato as a fruit - be it your research papers or school assignments.
I think I've managed to prove that the tomato is a fruit used as a vegetable - so no one's wrong and it depends on each ones perspective.
After reading this hub I hope you’ve clearly understood the difference between a fruit and a vegetable and I hope that your doubts are now cleared.
More by this Author
Learn about popular termite treatment methods: Cardboard traps, beneficial nematodes, boric acid, etc.
Do termites bite people? Are they harmful? What can you do to treat a termite bite? Find answers to all these questions and more. Also learn to identify the kind of termites infesting your home!
Green apples provide amazing health benefits, but that's not all! Apart from health, they are known to restore lost beauty. There's no need to choose anymore, be beautiful and healthy - Find out how..