Top 10 American Medical Schools
Best College Rankings Based an Academic and Practical Scores
US News and World Reports recently ranked the Medical Schools fo America by using a system of questionnaires sent to administrators regarding best practices.
The school rankings are founded on gathering two brands of data files: 1) expert opinions about program quality from school administrators and 2) statistics that result in measurements of the relative quality of the schools' faculty teaching abilities and results, research, and student skills and achievement. Over 146 medical programs across America were examined in this way.
For medical programs, US News and World Reports also surveyed professionals who hire new graduates, in a position to see the practical results of medical education and training from the employer's perspective. For this list, published in 2009, the magazine analysts used Administration and Professional survey results, averaged them together, and published the resulting lists.
Increasing Job Openings at Top Schools
Top 10 American Medical Schools for Research
- Harvard University - Boston, Massachusetts
- Johns Hopkins University - Baltimore, Maryland
- University of Pennsylvania - Philadephia
- Washington University - St. Louis, Missouri
- University of California - San Francisco
- TIE: Duke University - Durham, North Carolina in the Research Triangle; Stanford University - California; University of Washington - Seattle, Washington State; Yale University - New Haven, Connecticutt
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons - New York
- University of California, Los Angeles - David Geffen School of Medicine; University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, College of Osetopathic Medicine
University of Chicago - Pritzker School of Medicine
University of Pittsburg - Pennsylvania
HIGHLIGHT ON HARVARD
The Harvard Medical School is the most well known and perhaps awe-inspiring medical school in the United States. Opened back in the 1700s, Harvard possesses achievements and commendations that surpass many other American medical schools and other professional schools of all sorts. Over 200 years of consistent medical and health related research netted Harvard a stable of Nobel Prize winners, spurred advanced new technologies, and produced dozens of medical and scientific breakthroughs for business and people.
Harvard Medical School accepts just 5% of highly qualified applicants and competition is incredible. Candidates for acceptance require the average MCAT score of 11.7. Costs to attend this school are relatively high as well. Faculty to student ratio is 11.7, however, making for individual attention and focused training.
Harvard Medical School and Harvard University proper are employers offering increasing number of job openings through time since 2008, as evidenced form the graphs below. In fact, the Top 5 American Medical Schools for Research and their universities all show increasing numbers of job openings form July 2009 - February 2010.
TOP 10 US COMPANIES HIRING MD PHYSICIANS
- Amedisys, Inc.
- Deegan, Fernandez & Associates, Inc
- Aureus Medical Group
- Reflectx Staffing
- Kaiser Permanente
- Enterprise Medical Service
- Merritt, Hawkins and Associates
TOP 10 JOBS AT HARVARD
- ID Tech Camp, Camp Instructors - IT Camps for youth ages 7 - 17 at Harvard and other top universities.
- ID Tech Camp, Camp Directors
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Associate/Full Professors
- Operating Room Surgical Techs
- Staff Assistants
- Research Scientists
- Business Analysts
- Research Associates
Additional high demand jobs:
- SAS Programmer
- Senior Clinical Informatics Specialists
- Executive Assistants
- Financial Services Professionals
- Graphic Designers
- Software Engineers
- Nurse Practitioners
TOP JOB LISTERS FOR "MEDICAL SCIENTISTS"
- Albany Medical Center - New York
- Harborview Medical Center - Seattle, Washington
- Beckman Coulter
- Kelly Scientific Resources
- Kaiser Permanente
- Eli Lilly
- BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company)
In the following video clip, Harvard shows an education advance in which students question surgeons rather than to use dogs for to learn about anestetics.
Harvard - Replace Dogs with Surgeons
Links to Top Medical Schools
- Harvard Medical School
- Johns Hopkins Medicine, based in Baltimore, Maryland
The homepage for Johns Hopkins Medicine. The organization brings together the faculty, physicians, and scientists of the School of Medicine with professionals of the Johns Hopkins Health System.
- University of Pennsylvania || School of Medicine
We are the School of Medicine -- the Nation's First -- and the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania -- the nation's first hospital built by a medical school. Our heritage is the cornerstone for our future and the legacy which supports our pursu
- Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis
Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis has a rich, 115-year history of success in research, education and patient care. It pioneered bedside teaching and led in the transformation of empirical knowledge into scientific medicine.
- UCSF School of Medicine
Top 10 Medical Schools in Family Medicine
- University of Washington - Seattle, Washington
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- University of Colorado at Denver - Aurora, Colorado
- University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, Michigan
- University of Missouri - Columbia, Missouri
- University of California -San Francisco
- University of Wisconsin at Madison
- Oregon Health and Science University - Portland, Oregon
- Case Western Reserve University - Cleveland, Ohio
- Duke University - Durham, North Carolina, in the Research Triangle.
Top Medical School with Small Enrollments
The following schools support enrollment of 250 or fewer medical students, providing additional individual attention in some aspects of education and training.
- Mayo Medical School - Rochester, Minnesota. Full-time Faculty to Student Ratio is high at 14:1. This was the former employer the researcher of the WWII Starvation Experiments, Dr. Ancel Keys, who helped save 1,000s in Europe and led the way to useful obesity and eating-disorder findings (see Starving for K Rations).
- John H. Quillen College of Medicine at East Tennessee State University - Johnson City.
- University of Nevada at Reno
- University of North Dakota - Grand Forks.
- Sanford School of Medicine - Univerity of South Dakota - Sioux Falls.
Mayo Medical School, Rochester MN
- Mayo Medical School Programs
MD, MD-PHD, Honors Program. Mayo Clinic and Arizona State University offer two programs for the Barrett Honors College. One program is longitudinal and takes place at Mayo Clinic Arizona. The other is an intensive two-week summer program in MN.
Mayo Studies: Stress and Burnout Among Surgeons
Comparison - Top 10 Medical-Doctoral Schools of Canada
Ranked by Maclean's magazine 19th annual rankings:
- McGill University - Montreal, Faculty of Medicine. This school is recognized for its wide range of research interetests, from transplantation host resistance to aging to genome studies and the mind-brain-language connection.
- University of Toronto Medical School - 27th medical school globally in other rankings.
- University of British Columbia
- Queens School of Medicine - Kingston ON
- University of Alberta Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry
- University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine
- Dalhousie University Faculty of Medicine
- Mcmaster University - Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine - Ontario
- University of Ottawa Faculty of Medicine
- University of Sakatchewan College of Medicine
Top 10 Medical Schools of Mexico
- UNAM at http://www.unam.mx/ The comprehensive website includes top bar links to Youtube video showcase, podcasts, webcasts, social networking, and other communications options.
- TEC de Monterrey at http://www.itesm.mx/
- Instituto Politécnico Nacional at http://www.ipn.mx/
- Universidad Iberoamericana at http://www.uia.mx/
- Universidad Autónoma de Guadalajara at http://www.uag.mx/
- Universidad de Monterrey
- Universidad la Salle
- Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana
- Universidad Autónoma de Baja California
- Universidad Autónoma de Chapingo
Choosing a Medical School
More by this Author
Increasing numbers of people are enrolling in American Community Colleges because tuition is cheaper, classes are smaller, and credits transfer straight to a 4-year institution. In the meantime, they earn Associate's...
In the latest evaluation of top nursing schools in the country, the complex provided at the University of California - San Francisco (UCSF) appears on several Top 10 Lists in nursing specialties.
After writing resumes, cover letters, and job applications, candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. Here's what to avoid saying during the interview.