Best Jobs In Appleton, Wisconsin, A Fox City
Cheese and Culture In Wisconsin
As Number 97 on the list of Money.com's Top 100 Best Places to Live in America, Appleton produces arts and culture as much as it produces delicious regional cheeses.
Appleton - or le Grand Chute in previous days - is home to the Fox Cities Performing Arts Center that is host to Broadway touring companies and other stage productions that draw large audiences.
The Fox Cities are a group of cities and towns clustered around the Fox River Valley in Wisconsin. They comprise a retail shopping Mecca as well as a group of growing communities expanding in residential and commercial interests.
Downtown Appleton has seen successful community involvement and revitalization, especially along College Avenue, the street that seems to included a majority of the major businesses and attractions in the city.
The programs instituted for revitalization have welcomed new businesses and residents to the downtown area and not only kept more local dollars in the city, but have received tourist and conference dollars as well to help the local economy grow.
An energized and economically growing downtown area is a feature of most of the Best 100 Cities as well as the Fastest Growing Places in America that are discussed every year by Money, Forbes, Kiplinger, US News and World Reports, The Daily Beast, and other analyst media.
Weekend Summer Trolley Program
Many cities in America has added a trolley care to more to their transportation offerings, with good success.
The trolley car in Appleton is a convenient, helpful program that increases easy mobility around Downtown Appleton. From the beginning of June through the third week in September weekly during Thursday – Saturday, the downtown trolley is fast and convenient to the Riverfront.
From Thursday and Friday it runs 5pm – 11pm and on Saturday 10am – 11pm. It is perfect for shopping and night life during the warmer months.
Arts Network Downtown
Fine arts, performance, music and dance are big draws in Downtown Appleton, adding to the night life, family entertainment, and an air of growing sophistication for the town.
Appleton Live Music
Live music is available several evenings a week in Appleton, in downtown coffee houses, taverns, and clubs.
Magic in the Tradition of Houdini
Appleton is the home of Harry Houdini and the links below provide the local attractions revolving around this major character. They include a number of museums and exhibits of his illusions and escapes.
Downtown Appleton WI - Fox River in the Southeast Corner
Business and Historic District Downtown
- Appleton Downtown, Inc. > Home
All about Downtown Appleton, including a map, business listings, and descriptions and event highlights. Also includes a community calendar of events.
- Fox Cities Performing Arts Center | Where the Arts Come Alive!
- Houdini History Center in Appleton
See map above.
Amazing Houdini Films
Having conquered the stage with magic and escapes, Houdini determined to became the top screen star. Starring in a series of thrillers built upon his supernatural powers, he made SLIPPERY JIM (1910, comedy), THE MASTER MYSTERY (1919), TERROR ISLAND (1920), THE MAN FROM BEYOND (1922), HALDANE OF THE SECRET SERVICE (1923), and THE GRIM GAME (1919). Includes other special features. Hard-to-find item.
County Historical Society
- Attic Theatre at the UW Fox Valley's new Communication Arts Center
- Barlow Planetarium
Star Shows, Laser Music Shows, family friendly entertainment.
- Bergstrom-Mahler Museum
Bergstrom-Mahler Museum Wisconsin's Glass Museum
- The Building For Kids - Play-based children’s activity museum with hands-on exhibits for kids ages 7 & under. Located at 100 W College Ave, Appleton, WI 54911.
- Fox Valley Symphony - Located at 111 W College Ave, Appleton, WI 54911. Adult and youth programs and performances.
- Funset Boulevard: Family Entertainment in Appleton, WI
Funset Boulevard offers food and entertainment for the whole family including mini-golf, laser tag, mini-bowling, batting cages, bumper cars and endless arcade games.
- Paper Discovery Center - Home Page - The PDC recognizes people who have made preeminent contributions to the paper industry, worldwide, and fosters a greater understanding of the paper industry, its heritage, impact, challenges and opportunities through educational programs and interpretative exhibits.
- The Trout Museum of Art -- 111 W College Ave, Appleton, WI 54911, at the Symphony Orchestra home.
Gardens, Parks, and Green Spaces
The 39 acres of landscapes at the Gardens of the Fox Cities are part of a non-profit organization that received no tax-based support. On the grounds is the interesting Taliesin-produced Scheig Learning Center, crafted by the famed Taliesin company that includes architects trained by Wisconsin native, Frank Lloyd Wright. Only private donations and corporate funding, special events, rentals, fee-for programming, and memberships keep the gardens alive.
In addition to the Gardens of Fox Cities site, Appleton itself features 22 city gardens, parks, and arboretums. Many of them have basketball and tennis courts, an outdoor swimming pool, picnic areas with grills, and other amenities.
Local Labor Market
Top 20 Job Forecast to 2016
Appleton's Outagamie County office report that the industries that contribute most to the local economy include Healthcare, Education, and Retail Sales, with new revenues and new jobs emerging through 2016 rather than lost , as previously true in 2008 - 2010.
Employment Projections to 2016 favor the following occupations:
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Combined Food Prep-and-Service - Includes fast food restaurants.
- Customer Service Representatives (CSRs)
- Retail Salespersons
- Janitors and Cleaners (except Housekeepers)
- "Waitstaff" - Waiters and Waitresses
- General Office Clerks
- Bookkeeping, Acct, and Auditing Clerks
- Home Health Aides (HHAs)
- Personal/Home Care Aides
- Business Operations Specialists
- Nursing Aides, Orderlies, similar
- Receptionists and Information Clerks
- Executive Secretaries and Administrative Assistants
- Accountants and Auditors
- Child Care Workers
- Medical Assistants
- Maids and Housekeepers
- Landscapers and Groundskeepers and crews
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, except Technical and Scientific Products
- Tellers - Banks, credit unions.
- Computer Software Engineers (Applications)
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
- Restaurant Cooks
- Sales Representatives of Services
- Bill and Account Collectors
- Mainstream Elementary School Teachers (Grades 1 - 5)
Top 5 Major Company Links
- Aurora Health Careers - Work at a new hospital
Our nationally accredited cancer services program has 30+ fellowship-trained specialists & 70+ cancer clinical trials. Custom treatment plans, close to home in Wisconsin.
- HUMANA - Guidance when you need it most
Health insurance plans and related healthcare benefits for Medicare, individual or group health insurance. Manage your healthcare choices with Humana.
- OSKOSH WISCONSIN
- Schneider Jobs- CDL Truck driving, Diesel Technicians, Warehouse, Office
Schneider’s hiring CDL drivers for company truck driving positions. Other job paths include diesel mechanics, warehouse and office careers. Trucking is the fastest growing job in the country since 2014!
- Kimberly-Clark Corporation | Personal & Health Care Products | Consumer & Commercial Tissue
Kimberly-Clark and its well-known global brands are an indispensable part of life for people in more than 150 countries. Every day, 1.3 billion people - nearly a quarter of the world's population - trust Kimberly-Clark brands and the solutions they provide to enhance their health, hygiene and well-being. With brands such as Kleenex, Scott, Huggies, Pull-Ups, Kotex and Depend, Kimberly-Clark holds No. 1 or No. 2 share positions in more than 80 countries.
Top Hiring Employers
- Ministery Health Care
- Associated Bank
- Schneider National - Major American trucking company.
- Aurora Health Care
- Affinity Health System
- HCR Manorcare
- Trillium Jobs
- Kelly Services
- PDS Technical Services
- QPS Employment Group
- US Air Force
- US Tech Force
Top 10 Hot Jobs in 2015
- Registered Nurses (RN licenses) - Includes Nurse Practitioners (NPs), who often serve as Physician Assistants
- Administrative Assistants
- Truck Drivers - Salary and Owner-Operators
- Business Analysts
- Inside and Outside Sales Representatives
- Administrative Assistants
- Account Executives
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Event Specialists
Additional High Demand Jobs
- Plasma Center Technicians
- Financial Advisors
- Restaurant Managers
- Account Sales Representatives
- Assistant Managers
- Automotive Technicians
Education and Training Opportunities
- Concordia University Wisconsin
Concordia University Wisconsin is a 4-year, NCA-accredited, co-educational, liberal arts school offering undergraduate majors of study, graduate programs and accelerated undergraduate programs - adult education majors.
- Fox Valley Technical College®
Fox Valley Technical College® offers education for high-demand careers! 200+ associate degrees, technical diplomas, certificate programs, seminars, customized training for business and continuing education
- Lawrence University
Lawrence University is nationally recognized as an undergraduate college of the liberal arts and science, with a conservatory of music. Chartered in 1847, Lawrence was among the first colleges in the USA to be coeducational.
- Marian University - Wisconsin
A Catholic university in the Agnesian tradition, Marian University was founded in 1936 by the Congregation of Sisters of St. Agnes in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. The institution has one of the lowest student-faculty ratios in the state, and strives to li
- Rasmussen College - Regionally Accredited College Online and on Campus
Regionally accredited private college with 24 campuses in Minnesota, North Dakota, Florida, Wisconsin, Illinois, Kansas and online.
- University of Wisconsin-Fox Valley
© 2011 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Jonah Seitz, a lead singer with On The Rocks men's a cappella group at the University of Oregon is originally from Corvallis. Both Corvallis and Eugene are college towns, resistant to recessions.
Poet of the Beat Generation, Jack Kerouac was born in Massachusetts in the town of Lowell, a few miles southeast of Nashua, New Hampshire - and there are other reasons to move here!
I have learned much from my Polish American friends about the important of Easter in their culture, friendships, families, and faith. Please enjoy the recipes and information.