Corvallis: College Town and Best City for Children
Siuslaw River Flowing into the Pacific Ocean
Natural Attractions and Music
America's Promise named Benton County & and its county seat, Corvallis, to their list of the 100 Best Communities for Children in the late 2000s.Other ratings organizations have awarded the city recognition for safety and best small-town living as well. it is also known as a top place for retirement. Corvallis is a clean and beautiful town in which to raise a family among outdoor recreation and natural features, a high achieving school system, good jobs, and the nationally Oregon State University.
Corvallis and Oregon State University [the state's oldest college or university] are approximately 38 miles north of Eugene and the University of Oregon [UO] on Interstate 5. Jonah Seitz, a lead singer with On The Rocks men's a cappella group at the University of Oregon is originally from Corvallis. Both Corvallis and Eugene are college towns, resistant to recessions because of the student influx and creation of University research-created jobs, and offer family-friendly services and entertainment. Arts and culture are another primary focus.
Downtown Corvallis Revitalization
A revitalization program began for Downtown Corvallis in 2003 in order to upgrade the facade, add new features, and provide additional residential and business options for residents and visitors.
Some of the local improvements to the downtown area include building renovations, a focused promotion of new men's and women's apparel shops, new signs, and the possibility of an Urban Renewal district for specialized improvements. New events will follow renovations, like the springtime Downtown Wine Walk, a sort of moving wine tasting event among the wine shops in Downtown Corvallis. The Willamette Riverwalk is another big attraction for residents and visitors.
The Benton Country Historical Museum is located downtown, as are the Fall Festival Office, half a dozen bakeries, art galleries, approximately three dozen restaurants, the baseball park, B & B's, book stores, pubs, and a planned list of other attractions through 2020..
Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area
- The Arts Center | Arts at the Center of Life | Corvallis, Oregon
The Arts Center
- Avery Park Rose Garden
- Benton County Historical Museum
The Benton County Historical Society hosts a variety of exhibits, including art. Research materials are available by appointnment.
- MVBC - Mid-Valley Bicycle Club
Mid-Valley Bicycle Club
- Corvallis Community Theatre
- Corvallis Environmental Center
- Corvallis Knights Baseball
- Covered Bridges
- da Vinci Days :: Da Vinci Days
Oregon's premier arts and science festival, in Corvallis
- Green Gable Historic Gardens
Local florist, commercial flower grower, collector's garden.
- Majestic Theatre
- Oregon State University
- Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire -- Kings Valley - Oregon -- Gates are Open from 10am to 6pm -- Septembe
Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire, Second weekend in September, Kings Valley Oregon. We bid you join us for two days of Revelry and Entertainment! Shop and Play in the 16th Century English and Welsh Village of Shrewsbury as you Enjoy Foods and Crafts from
- Siuslaw National Forest - Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area
Part of the trip planning guide for the Siuslaw National Forest. This guide helps you find recreation sites for the activies you are interested in and the area you will be traveling.
- Trysting Tree Golf Course
- White Water Warehouse
Oregon river rafting trips, kayaking trips, hiking trips, Oregon whitewater rafting trips, river maps, river tips for rafting Oregon Rivers
Where to Stay
In addition to the famous hotel and motel chains located in most states, the Corvallis-Eugene Area also features moderately priced Bed and Breakfast Inns, along with stays at a working farm. A department of the local chamber of commerce and city government is available to help visitors and residents newly relocated to Corvallis to find temporary housing while looking for a permanent home. All of these links are furnished below.
Bed and Breakfasts
- The Hanson Country Inn - Bed and Breakfast Lodging in Corvallis
The Hanson Country Inn, Corvallis's Oldest and Finest Bed and Breakfast. A magnificent five-acre estate located on a commanding knoll on the southwest edge of Corvallis
- Leaping Lamb Farm Stay
High Demand Jobs Increase
Jobs Began Increasing Mid-2010 to 2016
Corvallis experienced a marked increase in job listings that doubled previous numbers during Summer 2006, with a sharp decline at the end of that season. However, numbers of jobs listed from July 2010 - November 2010 were generally stable, with increases each year form 2011 - 2015.
Top Job Listers
- Oregon State University (OSU)
- Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center
- Fiserv - Financial Services Technology Solutions
- CH2M HILL - Engineering
- Medical Connections, Inc.
- www.RNTravelWeb.com -- TRAVEL NURSING
- Samaritan Lebanon Community Hospital
- Critical Connection
- SHS Corporate - Sears Holding Corp.
- Samaritan Albany General Hospital
- Market of Choice - Grocery and Health and Beauty, etc.
Top High Demand Jobs
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Truck Drivers - Semis
- Physical Therapy Assistants
- Assistant Professors
- Owner Operators - Trucks
- Occupational Therapy Assistasts
- Mechanical Engineers and Interns
- Management Trainees
- Traveling Inventory Staff
- Nurse Practitioners
- Java Developers
- Business Analysts
- Architect Interns
Largest Employers in Corvallis, by Employee Pool
- Oregon State University (OSU) - Approximately twice an many employees as #2 Hewlett Packard. OSU is one of only two land-, sea-, space- and sun- grant institutions in America. Agricultural science is one of the highest priorities at OSU, which has developed pear orchards for a major catalogue business, truck farms for local produce, and several innovations in food crop. Partnerships with business have led to at least three major tree farms in Western Oregon/Covallis as well. health and medicine, climate change, and sustainability are other research priority areas as well. Another interesting project is the study of Whale DNA to determine that sushi in certain restaurants came from the illegeal Japanese whale trade. Sports are part of the PAC-10.
- Hewlett Packard
- Good Samaritan Hospital
- Corvallis School District
- Holiday Tree Farm - :Largest tree grower globally.
- Corvallis Clinic
- City of Corvallis - Government
- Benton County - Government
SPOTLIGHT: Holiday Tree Farm
One of the largest employers in Corvallis, by number of employees, this tree farm supplies the country with increasingly popular Oregon-grown Christmas Trees.
Holiday Tree Farm: www.holidaytreefarm.com/
Growing trees since 1955, Holiday Tree Farm is the largest tree grower in the world and the largest producer of Christmas Trees in the USA. Its founder is a retired OSU agronomist, Hal Schudel, who with his wife Lois, donated $1 Million to scholarships at the university in 2008.
Schudel began as a landscaper after WWII, taught at OSU, and opened his tree farm in 1955. Today, the plantation ships over a millions trees yearly, as well as wreaths up to 7 feet wide and a variety of garlands made from Noble Fir. Several other species of fir tree, along with Scotch Pine are the plantation's specialties.
Continuing to help OSU acquire new scholarship funding, Hall and Lois Schudel show how business and education can work together to provide new jobs in the agricultural sciences. The link above provides additional information about sustainability and quality in tree growing and shipping.
Highest Demand Jobs Projected by Benton Country to 2018
- Veterinary Techs
- Veterinary Assistants and Lab Animal Caretakers
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
- Farm Workers for Farm and Ranch Animals
- Physician Assistants - Note: a rise in demand for Nurse Practitioners would be roughly equivalent.
- Home Health Aides (HHAs)
- Medical and Clinical Laboratory Techs
- Forest and Conservation Techs
- Respiratory Therapists
- Surgical Techs
- Multimedia Artists/Animators
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Geological and Petroleum Techs
© 2010 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
The Fox Cities are interesting and fast developing hubs of commerce and good living spaces. The have been placed on many Top Cities lists in America and really are great places!
Lansing and East Lansing have become one of my favorite travel destinations. If I were looking for historic or cultural attractions, sports, work, or a great university, I'd move here.
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...