Traveling Back In Time-1943
I had started this idea of hubs working up from my birth year. I have been so overwhelmed with what I have learned, that I had to keep going.
We can learn so much by looking at the past.
To the right are the other hubs I have written in the series: "Traveling Back In Time".
Here we are with 1943. Were you around? Many of you probably were not, but we can still learn from those that were.
Where has the world come from 1943? Scroll down and learn. Here are some facts about 1943:
The leader of the United States in 1943 was President Franklin D. Roosevelt and his Vice President was Henry A. Wallace.
The United States In 1943
Some of the basic facts about 1943 are:
- The average cost of a new home was $3,600. Today it is $152,000.
- The average yearly wage was $2,000. Now it is $42,979.
- A gallon of gas would run around 15 cents. Today it is about $4.00.
Times have changed.
The Pentagon's construction was completed.
The United States took control of the Guadalcanal.
PT-109 was sunk by Japanese forces. Lt. John F. Kennedy was the commander.
The Great Depression ended and employment figures rose drastically.
The Thomas Jefferson Memorial in Washington D.C. is completed.
The United States was short on copper, so the penny was minted in steel.
The Slinky was invented by Richard James.
The World In 1943
Italy surrendered and Mussolini resigned.
British and American forces bombed Hamburg, Germany and killed 42,000 civilians.
A famine in India resulted in the deaths of approximately 3,000,000 people.
Lebanon gained independence from France.
Jacques Cousteau and Emile Gagnan invented the Aqualung. Man could now breathe underwater.
The Jews in the ghettos of Warsaw, Poland had an uprising.
That was just some of the news from 1943.
Keep in mind that World War 2 was happening and there was much news.
What were people watching at the box office?
Top 3 Movies Of 1943
These were the top selling movies of 1943:
- Shadow Of A Doubt-This was a movie directed by the great Alfred Hitchcock. It was a psychological thriller that kept people at the edge of their seats.
- The Ox-Bow Incident-This movie starred the great Henry Fonda. it was a Western that was considered very close to how things happened in the Old West.
- the Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp-This movie was from England. It was a comedy/drama that many people went to watch.
Top 3 Songs From 1943
Music has always kept people calm and relaxed.
What were the top songs from 1943? Have you listened to any of these?
- Paper Doll-The Mills Brothers
- Pistol Packin' Mama-Al Dexter and His Troopers
- You'll Never Know-Dick Haymes
Radio Of 1943
Televisions were around in 1943, but the majority of people did not have them. Radio was the primary mode of entertainment. These were the top radio programs in 1943.
- When A Girl Marries
- Portia Faces Life
- Backstage Wife
- Fibber McGee & Molly
- The Bob Hope Pepsodent Program
- The Red Skelton Raleigh Cigarette Program
Weekend Day Program
- The Shadow
- John Charles Thomas Westinghouse Program
- Prudential Family Hour
Top 3 Books Of 1943
What was being read in 1943?
These are the top 3 books from 1943:
- A Tree Grows In Brooklyn-Betty Smith
- These Happy Golden Years (Little House On The Prairie #8)-Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Bedknob And Broomstick-Mary Norton
1943 was a year that made people wish that war was over.
Many good things came from 1943.
I hope you learned a thing or two about the year 1943.
Here are a few items from 1943 and a clip of the 1943 World Series. The New York Yankees beating the St Louis Cardinals.
© G.L. Boudonck
More by this Author
Children are our future and there are freaks killing them. Lets catch these evil beings and send them all to hell.
This hub describes the different political parties and their views. Written before the last Presidential election, it still gives people insight. Updated now for the most current Presidential election
It was the same thing day in and day out. Go to school and do follow the material that had boredom written all over it. I wanted something more; something with substance.