Traveling Back In Time-1953
I originally started this series of hubs with my birth year moving up a decade each time. They seem to be doing well, so I have decided to go backwards too.
This is fun and educational for me. I believe we all can learn from the past.
Now here is some information about 1953:
The President of the United States in 1953 was Dwight D. Eisenhower. His Vice President was Richard M. Nixon.
Now here are some other facts about 1953:
The United States In 1953
Some basic facts about 1953 are:
- The average cost of a new home was $9,550. Today that figure is $152,000.
- The average wage per year was $4,000. The average now is $42,979.
- A gallon of gas averaged 20 cents. It is around $4.00 now.
Things have changed a lot since 1953.
Jonas Salk invents the polio vaccine at the University of Pittsburgh.
The FBI rounds up communist leaders in the United States who are plotting an overthrow of the government.
The U.S. Supreme Court gave the right to enforce right-to-work laws.
A powerful tornado hits Waco, Texas killing 114 people and injuring another 597.
The first color television goes on sale in the United States for a whopping $1,175.
The first Chevrolet Corvette is produced and sold.
The World In 1953
It was 1953 when the first two people successfully climbed Mount Everest. They were Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay.
With the help of the CIA, Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi of Iran was restored his power through a coup against Mohammed Mossadegh.
The Russian Premier, Joseph Stalin died.
The Korean war is halted. Some may say it ended, but no formal end of the war was ever signed. It is actually still a war, but with very little bloodshed at the moment. That could change in any moment with the new leader of North Korea.
Queen Elizabeth II was crowned Queen of England on June 2nd.
Approximately 4,000,000 workers go on strike in France.
In the Netherlands, the North Sea flooded and killed as many as 1,800 people.
Jomo Kenyatta who ended up the leader of Kenya, was sentenced to seven years of hard labor.
Southeast Asia is hit by a devastating hurricane killing over 1000 people.
That is a little bit of the news from 1953.
Were you around? Do you remember?
Here are more facts from 1953:
Top 3 Movies Of 1953
What were people seeing at theaters or drive ins in 1953?
Have you watched any of these movies?
- From Here To Eternity. This was a love story starring Burt Lancaster. This movie had some other greats too including Frank Sinatra, Ernest Borgnine, and Donna Reed.
- Roman Holiday. This was another love story starring Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn.
- The War Of The Worlds. When this story first came on the radio, people actually believed aliens had invaded the Earth. H.G. Wells wrote a great book and it became a great movie.
Top 3 Songs From 1953
Do you have some guesses as to the top 3 songs in 1953?
Here they are:
- Song From Moulin Rouge-Percy Faith
- Vaya Con Dios-Les Paul and Mary Ford
- Doggie In The Window-Patti Page
Top Television Shows Of 1953
Not everyone had a television in 1953. In many cases, only people that were doing well financially had one. Most others just listened to radio.
These were the three top rated television shows in 1953:
- Rheingold Theatre. This was a different theatrical play each showing. You may see a drama one time and a humorous play another.
- The Life of Riley. Riley was an aircraft mechanic, but usually the show had him at home. It was full of humor.
- The Loretta Young Show. This actress had a variety of skits and things like it on her show.
Top 3 Books Of 1953
What was people reading in 1953?
These are the top read books:
- Fahrenheit 451-Ray Bradbury
- Waiting For Godot-Samuel Beckett
- The Long Goodbye (Philip Marlowe #6)-Raymond Chandler
Cars From 1953
How I would love to own just one of the following cars. This is in no particular order, just ten of the great 1953 cars:
- 1953 Chevrolet Corvette
- 1953 Studebaker
- 1953 Lincoln
- 1953 Desoto Firedome
- 1953 Chevrolet Bel Air
- 1953 Chrysler Imperial
- 1953 Ford Victoria
- 1953 Corsair
- 1953 Willys Jeep
- 1953 Hudson
Did you learn something about 1953? I did!
I will keep going back in time to show you more.
Following is a clip explaining about television. It was a very new technology in 1953.
© G.L. Boudonck
© 2013 Greg Boudonck
More by this Author
Learn how the Sahara Desert is in Puerto Rico...No Lie!!!
What are the Boy Scouts? This hub explains the organization.
Children are our future and there are freaks killing them. Lets catch these evil beings and send them all to hell.