Traveling Back In Time-1973
I was just ten years old.
It was 1973 and I lived in the town of Ft Dodge, Iowa.
Looking back on time, there were both good moments and bad moments. Sometimes it is fun to take a look back.
Do you remember anything about 1973? I didn't remember much, that is, until I started investigating.
Let's take a look at some of what happened in the year of 1973.
The United States of America was managed by President Richard M. Nixon and Spiro Agnew was the Vice President.
Following are some of the most memorable things to recall about 1973.
United States In 1973
Here are some facts:
- Average Dow Jones Close was 850. Just Friday it closed at 15354.
- New House Average Cost: $32,500. Today it is $152,000.
- Average Yearly Income: $12,900. In 2011 it was $42,979.
- Average Rent For 1 Month was $175. Now it would probably be near $800
Inflation has hit hard as you can tell.
These are some of the bigger news stories from 1973 in the United States:
The Alaska Oil Pipeline Bill was passed. This allowed construction of a pipeline from Alaska.
Roe Vs Wade makes abortion legal in the United States.
The World Trade Center becomes the tallest building in the world.
Watergate hearings begin in the United States. Richard Nixon tells the people that he is not a crook.
American Indians hold the town of Wounded Knee, South Dakota for two months. In the end, many American Indians were arrested.
The Battle of the Sexes Tennis match was held between Bobby Riggs and Billy Jean King. The women won a victory when Billy Jean won.
For the first time in 25 years, a horse wins the triple crown. Secretariat has been recognized as one of the greatest thoroughbreds in history.
The United States launches Skylab. This is their first ever space station.
The World In 1973
OPEC announced that any country who supported Israel would have a restricted flow of their crude oil. This raised oil prices over 200%.
In Vietnam, United States were withdrawn and peace was back in Vietnam.
The IRA (Irish Republic Army) exploded bombs throughout the United Kingdom causing havoc.
The Yom Kippur War began with Egyptian and Syrian forces attacking Israel.
The Spanish Prime Minister was assassinated by Basque terrorists.
In Turkey a bridge linking Asia and Europe was completed. The name was Bosporus Bridge in Istanbul.
Marshall Law was imposed in Greece when students rioted.
In Chili, a coup was successful by forces of General Pinochet.
Israel shoots down a Libyan passenger plane killing many civilians.
Just A Bit
That was just a small bit of the news from 1973.
Do you remember?
It was a year that had great changes in the world.
So what were people watching at the movies?
Top 3 Movies of 1973
Did you go to a drive in and watch any of these movies in your car? These were the top movies of 1973:
- The Exorcist. This horror film scared many. I know I couldn't sleep for at least a week without dreaming of demons. Linda Blair was the star in this film.
- Deliverance. This film is a favorite of mine. Burt Reynolds was legendary in this film along with many hillbilly's.
- Live and Let Die. A James Bond film which was Roger Moore's first Bond film. It was a hit.
Top 3 Songs From 1973
Oh that 1973 music. Can you recall what you listened to? These are considered the top 3 songs from 1973:
- Tie A Yellow Ribbon 'Round The Ole Oak Tree-Tony Orlando and Dawn
- Bad Bad Leroy Brown-Jim Croce
- Killing Me Softly With His Song-Roberta Flack
Top 3 Television Shows From 1973
Did you have a color television yet, or still watching black and white? These were the most popular television shows in 1973:
- All In The Family. This was a family that had people laughing and crying.
- Sanford and Son. An African American father and son who ran a junkyard.
- Hawaii Five-O. A Hawaiian cop show that coined the phrase "Book 'em Dano".
Top 3 Books Of 1973
Do you read?
These were the top 3 books of 1973:
- Breakfast Of Champions-Kurt Vonnegut
- Burr-Gore Vidal
- The Princess Bride-William Goldman
Some Of The Top Cars Of 1973
What did you drive?
I wish I had some of these from 1973:
- 1973 Barracuda
- 1973 Camaro
- 1973 Challenger
- 1973 Charger
- 1973 Chevelle
- 1973 Corvette
- 1973 Cougar
- 1973 Firebird
- 1973 GTO
- 1973 Javelin
So do you remember 1973?
Maybe you were not even born yet.
Well you just learned a few things. 2013 really isn't all that bad. There were crazy things happening in 1973 too.
Keep watching as I do similar hubs in the next few weeks.
Here is a 1973 news excerpt.
© G.L. Boudonck
More by this Author
This hub describes the different political parties and their views. Written before the last Presidential election, it still gives people insight. Updated now for the most current Presidential election
Children are our future and there are freaks killing them. Lets catch these evil beings and send them all to hell.
It was the same thing day in and day out. Go to school and do follow the material that had boredom written all over it. I wanted something more; something with substance.