Traveling Back In Time-1983
I recently published a similar hub on 1973. I have decided to go every decade after my birth.
1983 meant that I was 20 years old. I was living in Lincoln, Nebraska in a difficult situation in my life. News wasn't the first thing on my mind.
What do you recall about 1983?
Let's take a look at what was happening in 1983...
The President of the United States in 1983 was the late, great Ronald Reagan. George Bush was the Vice President.
Following are memorable events of 1983:
The United States In 1983
Here are some facts about 1983:
- Average Dow Jones Close Was 1258. Friday it closed at 15354.
- A New Home Averaged $82,600. The Average now is $152,000.
- Average Yearly Income In 1983 Was $21,070. Income Average in 2011 was $42,979.
- Average Rent was $175. It is around $800 now.
Other news stories from 1983 in the United States:
Unemployment was at its highest point since 1941 with 12 million without jobs.
Hurricane Alicia hit Texas causing severe damage and killing 22 people.
Central New York is hit with a earthquake measuring 5.2 on the Richter Scale.
This is the year of the first mobile phone. Do you remember the huge phones made by Motorola?
President Ronald Reagan proposes the Star Wars defense system.
The Space Shuttle "Challenger" is first flown.
The World In 1983
In Lebanon, the United States embassy is bombed. 63 people were killed.
Ethiopia requests aid from other nations as 4,000,000 people had died there.
In the Philippines, the opposition leader is assassinated. His name was Benigno Aquino.
In Zimbabwe, civil war breaks out. Many people are killed.
In the United Kingdom, $37.5 million dollars in gold bars is stolen at Heathrow Airport.
The first ever woman in space when Sally Ride is aboard the Space Shuttle Challenger.
ARPANET first uses internet protocol and the internet is a reality.
That is a little bit of the news from 1983. It really didn't seem that long ago, but there have been many changes since then.
1983 history did change the world as we know it.
How much do you remember?
What movies did you see?
Top 3 Movies of 1983
Here are the top movies watched in 1983. Do you remember?
- The King Of Comedy. This film was somewhat of a comedy. It starred Robert De Niro and Jerry Lewis.
- The Right Stuff. This movie came out right along with the Space Shuttle launch. It was about astronauts and was a top seller.
- Terms of Endearment. This movie about the lives of a Mother and Daughter brought many to the box office. It starred Debra Winger and Shirley MacLaine.
Top 3 Songs From 1983
Do you remember what you were listening to in 1983? Following was considered the top three songs from 1983:
- Every Breath You Take-The Police
- Billie Jean-Michael Jackson
- What A Feeling-Irene Cara
Top 3 Television Shows Of 1983
Do you recall what you watched on television in 1983?
Here were the most popular television shows of 1983:
- Dallas. This nighttime soap opera drew many watchers. Based on a family in Dallas, Texas came the question, "Who Shot J.R.?"
- 60 Minutes. This news documentary told about everything going on. Some of the best newscasters in history were on 60 Minutes.
- Dynasty. This was another soap opera at night. I didn't care for it, but many loved it.
Top 3 Books Of 1983
For the readers out there; These are the top 3 books of 1983:
- Pet Sematary-Stephen King
- The Color Of Magic-Terry Pratchett
- The Witches-Roald Dahl
Best Cars Of 1983
Here are the top ten cars from 1983:
- 1983 Pontiac 6000STE
- 1983 Porsche 944
- 1983 Toyota Celica Supra
- 1983 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
- 1983 AMC/Renault Alliance
- 1983 Chevrolet Caprice Classic
- 1983 Ford Mustang GT 5.0
- 1983 Honda Accord
- 1983 Mazda RX-7
- 1983 Mercedes-Benz 380SEL
Did that bring some 1983 memories back?
1983 had some major advances that changed our world.
Now check out a news brief from Ted Koppel back in 1983.
© G.L. Boudonck
More by this Author
What are the Boy Scouts? This hub explains the organization.
We can learn from the Indians. Their wisdom could help us in many ways.
This hub describes the different political parties and their views. Written before the last Presidential election, it still gives people insight. Updated now for the most current Presidential election