Treatment of Patients in Hospitals : On Call - Pasay City General Hospital, Philippines
There are clear differences between the treatment of patients being admitted in public or private hospitals. Public hospitals are government-funded medical institution helping the less fortunate citizens in the country while private hospitals are mostly owned by well-off individuals or funded by corporations.
With the above-mentioned differences, the quality of service between the two are also compared and scrutinized by the public. If you have the money, you can immediately sought the service of a private hospital. If you don’t have, just settle to the public or government hospitals and suffer the slow and killing procedures being rendered by medical staff.
Malpractices in the offing
When my sister was recently admitted (April 19th, 2010) in a public hospital (Pasay City General Hospital) here in the Philippines due to miscarriage, Travel Man observed the inconsistencies and rude treatments of medical staff to those patients being admitted.
- Even if my sister is really bleeding, there was no assistance (like a medic carrying a stretcher or wheelchair) to ferry my sister to the second floor where the OB-Gynecology ward is located. They let my bleeding sister walk up to the second floor.
- The medical staff of the ward didn't immediately rendered the appropriate treatment for my sister. We have waited for twelve before they performed the cleaning of the uterus of my sister.
- When Travel Man continuously followed up his sister's situation, the OB-Gyne staff will just answer that she will look into the record. Later, Travel Man flared up and that's the only time they performed the cleaning procedure to my sister's womb. He didn't heard the derogatory remark of the staff that she wished his sister be killed.
- After the operation, the staff presented the fetus remains sealed in a small lab bottle and asked Travel Man to pay for 500 pesos (more than 10 US dollars) for its HistoPathology (that will be released after three days). He reasoned out that he will pay it at the accounting department of the hospital, not to them.
Scary Incidents in the hospital during the stay of TM's sister.
- The death of a woman that was killed during the delivery of her baby due to ruptured uterus!
- The threat receive by a mother in the delivery room during the cesarean operation. The midwife cussed and said a very defamatory remark that she will be killed if she didn't behave properly during the operation.
- Travel Man was informed that some pregnant women who were in their 'due stage' for baby delivery were always urged by medical staff to control the contraction of their wombs resulting to some defects of the babies. Some of the infants ate the feces of their mothers! Gross!
Complaints and all
One mother who underwent cesarean operations, who was threatened by her female doctor, is preparing to complain to the administrator of the hospital. Since the administrator is an incumbent politician, he cannot be seen by some complainants. As if, the staff didn't seem to mind the malpractices being observed and witnessed by the relatives of the patients admitted in the medical institution.
Travel Man is also preparing his complaints in writings and in his hub, so that a medical institution like the Pasay City General Hospital should be reviewed and punished. There is no room for a medical institution like this in the city of Manila.
Quality Medical Service and Treatment
Quality medical service and treatment should be possessed by a medical institution, especial the public hospitals. It's the expectation of most people who are going to be admitted in the hospital. from simple cleaning of wounds up to the serious clinical operations or major surgeries, we leave our lives to the hands of the doctors, nurses and medical staff. They should give the quality of service ordinary people long for.
The situation of the Health Care System in the Philippines should be improved soon. Although, generally people in the country are known for its hospitality, your impression can be changed if you will observe and experience the treatment of medical practitioners.But, with your PhilHealth card, some medical expenses will be rendered as free.
Travel Man will not stereotype them, but, with his recent experience with the staff of Pasay City General Hospital, his goal is not to be admitted in a public hospital.
More Issues on Hospital Treatment
- Undergoing Treatment at a Physical Therapy Clinic
If you have ever suffered from any back or joint pain or injury, been injured in a sports or vehicle accident, or are recovering from a stroke or some other debilitating illness, chances are that you have had to have physical therapy of some kind. A.
- Dog Bite Treatment - At Home or By a Doctor?
Should dog bite treatment be done at home or by a doctor? Learn about dog bite first aid, dog bite infection, dog bite force, and why dogs bite in the first place. Photos and videos included.
- Breast Cancer Treatment - What The Doctors Don't Tel...
I am 38 years old and was diagnosed with Breast Cancer 26 months ago. I'm ready to share my experiences and what I've learned about what to expect from, and things that the doctors don't tell you about, breast cancer treatment.
More by this Author
Have you heard about the popularity of Coco Juice os Buko Juice in the USA today? Americans are craving for this health juice drink instead of soda in order to combat obesity and other health deficiencies. Read more...
The Philippine General Hospital is both public and training hospital for medical students of UP- Manila. It is also a training hub for post-graduate courses.
Ever heard of sweet rice cake? Perhaps not, when you're still not living here in the Philippines. Let me teach you on how to make this Filipino delicacy. Get ready with your sweet tooth.