THE VOLCANO FACTS –- DESTROYER OR LIFESAVER ON EARTH
We all know that what we are seeing today in our world, i.e., atmosphere and continents in which we are living are a byproduct of volcanic activity and also life is created because seawater got mixed up with all the essential nutrients essential for life. So, volcano is the godfather of life in our earth, but now when it erupts, it sent ripples through the spine of all those who are living nearby. At times, it creates tsunami destroying uncountable life and property.
One in one line, we can say that volcano is the way how our earth expresses time-to-time and try to set things at right places. It is earth's behavior and its essence.
Definitely volcanoes are both lifesaver and destroyer and without volcanic activity life would not have been possible in earth.
A few thousand years ago, our scientists used to believe about the volcano is that it is just a burning mountain which spits molten rocks, but today the percept towards volcano facts have totally changed of what we think about them. Today, we know that volcanic activity starts not on the earth's surface or crust but far below.
WHAT IS A VOLCANO AND VOLCANO DEFINITION?
The earth's upper surface is build up of about a dozen of tectonic plates on which continents and oceans are resting. In Greek tectonic stands for build up, so tectonic plates means huge rock slab buildup. These huge slab or tectonic plates constantly moves and collide with each others. These tectonic plates move because the surface on which they rest that is earth's mantle is very hot and soft and acts like a conveyor belt. So, one can say that a dozen huge plates are riding above a conveyor belt and they move in different directions and often collide, slide past each other or get apart. So when they collide or drift apart and the molten magma comes up and erupts out of the rifts in earth's crust and it is known as volcanic activity.
WHAT MAKE A VOLCANO AND MORE VOLCANO INFORMATION
The earth's tectonic plates move in three directions and result in volcanic activity.
1. When the plates diverge from each other especially at the mid oceanic ridges, the hot magma erupts out in the form of lava to fill the gap and so new crust is form. So, this type of volcanic activity is creator of our crust.
2. When the plates converge with each other ,i.e., at the point of collision one goes underneath the other, it starts getting melting and forming hot magma. The magma comes up, creates a magma chamber, and erupts out from the earth's crust when enough pressure is built up giving birth to volcanoes. In this process, we lose our crust. So, this type of volcanic activity is destroyer.
3. There are points where the plates slide pasts each other. Volcanic activity is not found here.
THE VOLCANO FACTS
1. Around 1500 volcanoes around the world are still come under the category of active volcano.
2. Nearly 90% of the 1500 active volcanoes are in the Ring Of Fire, a band circling thepacific ocean.
3. The erupting out molten magma is known as lava. There are basically two types of lava or volcano types.
(a.) The first one flows like fluid and over years forms the slopes of the shield volcanoes. This lava type is basaltic and cannot get piled up due to their non-sticky fluid nature. These are found in mid oceanic ridge and forms new crust spreading the sea floor constantly in this process.
(b.) The other type of lava is very thick and sticky which does not flow freely and thus adding height constantly getting steeper and steeping and this type of volcano is known as composite volcanoes. This type of volcano is generally conical in shape.
4. Huge volcanic activity having the capacity to wipe out most of the life in our planet is known as super volcano. These are exceptionally large eruptions, can cover the whole earth's atmosphere with gases and ash shielding the sun, dropping the earth's temperature and wiping out almost 75% of life.
5. Every 600,000 years, there is a super volcano explosion which in "IT" terms one can say formats the earth (if earth is hard disk), i.e., renew the earth by destroying almost 75% of life, submerging old land, creating new land.
6. Due to volcanic activity, earth's atmosphere and land is created, continents are made.
7. Due to volcanic activity, when volcanoes erupted under the sea, gases got mixed up with sea water and amino acids and which in turn created the first single cell organism which led to the development of multicellular and then to us. So, it is due to volcano what we are today.
8. Volcanoes are sources which renew the earth time to time, giving chances to create new form of life in new environment.
IS THERE SUPER VOLCANO STILL PRESENT?
Yes, a super volcano is the volcano having a capacity to wipe out 75% life in the earth is present and it is in the Yellowstone National Park in United States. It is picnic spot for many as the place is full of hot springs and geyser to cherish among other natural things. It has a behavior of getting active every 600,000 years and it has last erupted some 640,000 years ago. So, scientists are continuously monitoring it for any signs of getting active again, as it can give many signs like the land getting up slowly. So, scientists have placed sensors to note the rising of the land and the sensors have shown that it is rising since 2004 at a rate of 3 inches per years. Also they are collecting samples which can also give any clue.
ARE THERE VOLCANOES FOUND IN OTHER PLANETS ALSO?
Yes volcanoes and volcanic activity is not unique to earth but it is present at many other planets and their satellite. The largest volcano by size is the Olympus Mons of Mars, it is three times in height than the Mount Everest and 550 kilometers in its base. Likewise, Venus also has active shield volcanoes and it has more number of volcanoes than any other planets.
WHICH IS THE LONGEST CHAIN OF VOLCANO ON EARTH?
It is the underwater mountain range and it arises at the spots of moving plates and encircles the whole earth like the seams of a baseball and known as Mid Ocean Ridge System. Due to the movement of tectonic plates undersea, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions are born which in turn generate tsunamis (catastrophic ocean waves) wiping out everything whatever comes in its way.
The volcano is the way through which nature states that however powerful we human being become, we cannot overcome nature's fury and can never even imagine to tame it. So respect our nature. Respect volcanoes.
This Volcano Can Wipe Out Life From Earth
More by this Author
When we visited Rajasthan, I was completely awestruck by this dish and now have planned again to visit that place especially to enjoy this dish. Rajasthan is a dry and arid region of India. Here people eat very spicy...
A few years back: It was one fine morning but not so fine for me, because I woke up with an oversized swollen lip and half upper face. I was so scared and perplexed that I immediately went to the emergency room where...
After having a hearty meal, I went to sleep and got up in the morning to find my hugely swollen lip and hives all over my hands which startled me. My doctor called it as hives allergic reaction. Hives are also called...