Reasons to save Water and fuel
I wrote another hub regarding saving water and I will not reiterate those points here.
So onto fuel preservation. Crude oil and its derivatives (petrol, diesal, oils for cars, grease) are used to run cars, trucks, ships and in some cases power stations and generators.
Coal is used to create electricity for domestic and industrial purposes. Coal can also be used to create liquid fuel in a very energy inefficent manner.
Oil is used to produce plastics which is why we should make sure we conserve plastic. Here are some conservation ideas:
- Think before you make a journey.. is it really necessary?
- Use a bike or walk when you can
- Use public transport
- Car pool
- Do your shopping once a week
- Grow your own veges
- Turn off electrical items when not in use ( many countries use fossil fuels to make electricity)
- Dont drive around with more in your car then you need to
- Take holidays closer to home (3%of all greehouse gases come from aeroplanes)
- Dont take the plastic bags from the shop or reuse them-they are made from oil!
- Reuse items so that you dont have to buy more.. manafacturing takes energy and uses fuel
- Recycle- for the energy it takes to make one new aluminium can 3 can be recycled
- Only buy what you need, we waste a lot of energy on food we throw away
- Dont buy out of season fruit and veges, it takes energy to bring them from oveseas
- Buy local produce
- Make your own compost- nitogen fertilizers need fuel to be made or be mined
- Dont buy fertilizers as they are sometimes made from crude oil and its derivatives
The benefits to you of doing these things are many:
- you are preserving valuable resources for our future
- you will save money
- you are setting a good example
- you are having a positive impact on the earth
More by this Author
Growing herbs in a tropical climate can be challenging but oh so rewarding! So come on down and have a go!