Web Publishing Ethics – How Web Publishers Can Degrade Intellectual Property
Just when I thought I had witnessed the height of idiotic editing, a web publisher comes along with a worst-case scenario of horrible editing that can threaten the integrity of any writer on the internet.
Insanely Bad Editing
I have previously pointed out the apparently common practice of bad writers’ demolishing good writers’ original words, and then re-publishing badly re-written articles to the bad writers’ blogs:
- Web Publishing Ethics -- How Abstractartimages.com Illegally Edited/Re-Published My Writing
- Web Publishing Ethics -- Another Case Of Copyright Wrongdoing At Journaleducation.net
The saga continues, as I have encountered yet another case of unethical web publishing where my name is credited to an embarrassingly ... incompetent re-write ... of my ... original article ..., The Word Fluidism – Inflating Its Definition Ruins Its Value
Bad Editing 101 – A Sentence-By-Sentence Analysis
- To illustrate my case, I present photographs overlaid with text to avoid posting duplicate content, in violation of Hubpages terms of service.
- I use the letter, “O”, to stand for “Original article”, and the letter, “R”, to stand for “Re-Write”.
- I use ALL CAPITAL LETTERS to indicate my original words that an offending web publisher changed, as well as his or her fabricated words substituted for my original words.
Original Article And Bad Re-Write - Comparison Of Wording Of Selected Sentences - Click On Image To Enlarge For Reading
Problems With Re-Wording Explained
WORD is prcise, TERM is general
VALUE establihes my intended metaphor, APPEAL denies it
I mean individual units of language, NOT groups of language units
CREATE ... COMMON
PRODUCE ... FREQUENT
CREATE is more creative, PRODUCE is more mechanical, FREQUENT does not mean COMMON
I mean WORD, not PHRASE
LITERALLY ... ALLOWS ... DIFFERENT
PRACTICALLY ... ALLOWS ... DIVERSE
LITERALLY does not mean PRACTICALLY, DIFFERENT is a grammatically correct, DIVERSE is not
I have shown selected examples of bad editing. I have NOT shown the entire extent of this particular wrongdoing, however. I simply do NOT have the time. I can only assume that the disasterous regress of my original article's integrity continues in the hands of a careless web publisher.
Each instance of word alteration, without fail, causes one of the following destructive effects to intellectual property:
- ruined shade of word meaning
- substantially changed sentence meaning
- grossly incorrect grammatical structure, either through poor choices or poor placements of words
- destroyed compositional consistency and sabotaged tone of writing.
More by this Author
Do ice cores from Greenland and Antarctica contain air of Earth's ancient atmospheres, or do these ice cores contain only artifacts of glacier dynamics?
The demise of physical fitness is nothing new in human history.
Glaciers are melting, but no faster than they always have, and in some cases, they are even growing.