What steps can we take to decrease the water consumption - as there is scarcity in water level?
Saving water on our increasingly crowded planet is an excellent idea and here are some ways that you can decrease the water that you use
- Dont run the water when you are brushing your teeth
- If you have a dishwasher only run it when there is a full load and wipe plate clean before you place them in the machine
- Dont wash your clothes until you have a full load
- Use the "grey" water in your house to water plants
- Change the water Cisterne on your toilet so that you can select half flushes
- If you cant do that have a can in the Cisterne so that the water level doesnt go as high
- Have short showers ie 4 mins or less and install water saving heads in your showers
- Wash your car at a place that recycles the water or wash the car with a mop and a bucket over some grass at your house.
- Make sure that if you use sprinklers in your garden that they dont water the paths
- Only water at night or early morning so that the Plants can absorb the water effectivly before it evaporates.
- At buffets when you eatout dont get a new plate every time you return to the buffet
- plant trees at your house that are native to the area so that will be happy with the water that falls from the sky and wont require more water from you
- if you have an evaporative airconditioner, use the water that runs through it on your garden
- if you have children teach them to be water concious
More by this Author
Growing herbs in a tropical climate can be challenging but oh so rewarding! So come on down and have a go!