I took a professional degree, so it has helped me. God also blessed me during the majority of my schooling to have a business which paid all of my tuition (which is what I asked of Him.)
However, I have been doing a lot of research on college. Did you know that grades in college, and even major coursework taken have little or no correlation to success (promotions and pay) at work? Grades also are no predictor. What IS a predictor is a test of basic abilities in reading comprehension, basic math, and "resourcing"- skill in locating and accessing resource material.
The improvement of students from all types of colleges on an exam was just a few points. High school grads score between 109 and 115 on these tests (averages of students entering online and on-campus programs, respectively). The improvement for online students is 4 points, for campus students, 2.5 points. Note that the improvement in what counts is hardly worth 4 years and 20K in debt. (Unless you earn a professional degree like engineering, medicine, accounting, law, etc.)
However, society is foolishly set up to require these programs of study. Of those with degrees, 44.4% are not working where their degree is required. The other 55.6% work where a degree is required (not necessarily the one they hold).
Without degrees, and keeping the internships and journeymanships of our grandfathers, I believe that all of us, and the nation as a whole, would be much, much better off.