81

Who is the greatest military general in history?

maven101 profile image76

Best Answer maven101 says

• Hxprof 4 years ago

Maven101, I agree that it's difficult to choose one commander who had it all. I like that you broke the question down, and I like also that you choose Hannibal Barca as the best all-around.

nnms profile image82

Seiboi Misao (nnms) says

Hmrjmr1 profile image78

Hmrjmr1 says

• Hxprof 4 years ago

There is no way to leave Alexander out of the running for history's greatest commander. And yes, the known world could have been ruled by the ambitious Alexander for a season.

ixwa profile image89

ixwa says

MUE profile image75

MUE says

61

ThePeeDeeWildcat says

• Hxprof 4 years ago

Yes Wildcat, it's a wide-ranging question. That makes it a real challenge! I agree that Stonewall Jackson was a great commander; however, I'd be more comfortable including him as a top candidate if he'd not departed before we'd seen more of him.

devilmovies profile image61

devilmovies says

• Hxprof 4 years ago

I'll give Muhammed credit for inspiring the conquest of that vast area, but during his time it was primarily the Arabian Peninsula that came under the control of the tribes following him. After his death, others carried out the greater conquests.

61

deepdiver says

bill oneill profile image60

bill oneill says

• Hxprof 4 years ago

Gaul was the proving ground for the man with the greatest genius for war during his time, exceeding even that of Sulla, who was also an exceptional commander. He's certainly a worthy candidate for the top spot.

Alexander Adwan profile image60

Alexander Adwan says

• Hxprof 6 months ago

Alexander is near or at the very top of the list of best commanders, no doubt.

0

Old Empresario says

• Hxprof 4 years ago

Old Empresario, I agree that Belisarius was a great commander. IMO you're being a bit tough on Hannibal, but then again he did lose the war!