Drax profile image 74

Why do they not teach speed reading and memory techniques to kids at school ?

IMHO the school curriculum has not changed much in the years since I attended school, they are still teaching kids things that do not have a bearing in their life and that are forgot about the minute the bell goes :-(

fitmom profile image92

fitmom says

• Drax profile image

des donnelly (Drax) 4 years ago

Hi Fitmom... it may well be this standardization is the problem, if one looks at what is happening in forward looking companies where there is much more emphasis on fun. IMHO standard school does not prepare one for a variable life..

dianetrotter profile image80

G. Diane Nelson Trotter (dianetrotter) says

• Drax profile image

des donnelly (Drax) 4 years ago

thanks for the comment Diane, I was thinking of after that, when they can read, why not teach them to read faster, it is a skill that will be of benefit all through life.. perhaps what kids are being asked to read is what is wrong...

Dantex460 profile image61

Dantex460 says

• Drax profile image

des donnelly (Drax) 4 years ago

Dantex460.. thanks for the comment, that's great news, I know in England they had been running pilots using techniques developed by Tony Buzan. I wonder has that now hit the mainstream

Kathryn L Hill profile image84

Kathryn L Hill says

• Dantex460 profile image

Dantex460 4 years ago

I am dyslexic, speed reading and scanning to find key words was the only way I was able to keep up with the rest of the class. I will never need to use such precise writing in my job nor anything I will most likely do will need such precision.

0

Garifalia says

• Drax profile image

des donnelly (Drax) 4 years ago

thanks for the comment Garifalia, perhaps though this is part of the problem, that the learning is tailored for the slowest and the fast become bored and disillusioned. One can spend thousands of hours studying but never really learn anything.