Alecia Murphy profile image 90

Should post-secondary education be more skills focused, concept focused, or a combination of both?

In my observations and experiences I have noticed more companies are looking for hard skills and some education as opposed to a four-year degree with soft skills. Do you think four year universities need to emphasize skills training and certification for various programs (Healthcare, IT, Accounting, etc) like two year technical schools do or should something else happen?

Sally's Trove profile image98

Best Answer Sherri (Sally's Trove) says

• Alecia Murphy profile image

Alecia Murphy 4 years ago

I agree Sally's Trove. Wanting just hard skills doesn't always cut it. Soft skills often temper the lack of hard skills and in the long run help companies build and diversify. Instant gratification is not always the best pursuit.

BizVT34 profile image84

BizVT34 says

• Sally's Trove profile image

Sherri (Sally's Trove) 4 years ago

Who is to judge which degree is useless and which is not? That student of early Greek traditional art could go on to make stellar contributions to bolstering regional economies by way of marketing local arts and crafts on the world market.

SilverGenes says

• Alecia Murphy profile image

Alecia Murphy 4 years ago

You have a point SilverGenes. I think apprenticeship is a great idea. I did one in high school and it helped me figure out I didn't want that career field.

And I definitely agree that elementary and secondary education needs to be revamped.

• Alecia Murphy profile image

Alecia Murphy 4 years ago

JThomp42,

I agree that it would be helpful, that way you can graduate and work without worrying about going back to school to obtain new skills/certifications.