kallini2010 profile image 88

What can I do to teach my child (a boy) to stop hating school and learning?

Too much damage is already done by the system itself - and even though I consider myself lucky with the school he attends and the teachers (it's an excellent team), but the system in general is created for girls. Not only my son is a late bloomer, he is not very co-operative in the academic field. For him, everything should be hands-on, fun, entertainment, games. It's too much of a challenge for me - and I don't have the support of my ex who is a strict disciplinarian. Pure discipline makes my son detest school and learning by rite even more.

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 4 years ago

Thank you, I agree with you. I hated the history of the Soviet Union especially after WWII - it seemed boring beyond..., however, later I met history teachers who made it fascinating. It is not the subjects or students - it is the system.

IDONO profile image83

IDONO says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 4 years ago

I am afraid you are too quick to judge. What you see in me is a reflection of you. You don't know me at all - not enough information. There are very few people like me even on HP - you'd probably have to ask my friends. No offense taken.

kathleenkat profile image89

kathleenkat says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 4 years ago

Thank you. He is a very sensitive, emotional child. For certain things I am waiting when he is ready, but I am constantly searching for ways to understand him and make him feel good about himself. MOTIVATION only comes from WITHIN. No forcing.

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 4 years ago

Right now - his stage is graphic novels. I don't consider it reading, but encourage him being a visual. When he was younger he created a book - and illustrations - it was really bright! Thank you for your advice.

Gary Holdaway profile image81

*Cough cough, tumbleweed* (Gary Holdaway) says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 4 years ago

He knows that. He surprised me the other day with "Muchacho!" As much as I was quoting Spanish for him - there was no "feedback" and this muchacho came seemingly out of nowhere - but I know - it's all my efforts - I love languages!

fitmom profile image90

fitmom says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 4 years ago

Thanks so much! I do have this hope, too! After all, as a mother - there is no quitting for me - I must hope and I will always hope for the best. And, yes, he is a smart boy. Maybe even smarter than me.

Charlu profile image84

Charlu says

haikutwinkle profile image72

haikutwinkle says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 4 years ago

Thank you, haikutwinkle - I agree with you, I am trying. We were watching eagles from our window - and he immediately came up with a story - "It's a bald eagle! It has just been on our balcony!" - exaggeration, of course, but I loved his enthusiasm!

ThePracticalMommy profile image92

Marissa (ThePracticalMommy) says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 4 years ago

I'll try to keep it in mind - the trick for me not to get too frustrated myself. I cannot find "the reasons" why he should learn French - I just cannot convince him that he must do it. There is this word again - MUST!

LadyLola profile image82

Lanie Robinson (LadyLola) says

HoneyBB profile image87

Honey Halley (HoneyBB) says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 4 years ago

Thank you. I'll have to talk to his teachers. The best thing I can offer him is my faith in him and my support. The message "You are not good enough" he gets from his father and I was dealing with too many putdowns. It is harder for a child.

Kotori profile image86

Kotori says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 4 years ago

Thank you very much! We are lucky this year - his teacher is a guy and a very likable person - the whole class - boys and girls admire him! I cannot tell you what a relief it is to me!

maddiiarfons profile image60

Maddi Arfons (maddiiarfons) says

isenhower33 profile image58

Bobby Isenhower (isenhower33) says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 4 years ago

I agree with you - I tried to be stricter with him and that was exactly the result - bedwetting - what he could not say to me, still got out - his anxiety. I stopped immediately and his bedwetting was also gone. So, yes, criticism is not the answer.

There may be a reasons your child hates public school84

There may be a reasons your child hates public school

|  4 comments
  • By Lori profile image

By Lori 4 years ago

Wow , excellent article. I couldn't agree more.

BSloan profile image81

Barbara Sloan (BSloan) says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 4 years ago

Thank you very much for your advice - you just gave a great idea - once Daniel comes back from his dad - I'll make a hub with all the suggestions I can gather (the more the merrier) and I video tape Daniel's rebuttals. The child is resourceful beyon

0

yodastyle says

By Lori profile image60

By Lori says

60

sjbowers9 says

0

Larry Wall says

• Sarra Garrett 4 years ago

I was going to say the same thing Larry. My first thought was bullying. Definately talk with your son. Take him out of the house and talk. This way you are in a neutral atmousphere where he will open up better.

0

Garifalia says

• Garifalia 4 years ago

PS: if he likes games, etc. he might be a kinestheic learner. That means that he needs to come into contact with things in order to be able to concentrate and learn. In any case he's probably cleverer than most and he's life in bloom. Celebrate it!