rebekahELLE profile image 91

Is public, high-quality Pre-Kindergarten a wise investment for the United States?

President Obama has recently addressed the need for quality preschool education to be made available for every 4 year old in the US. Is this a wise investment to help equalize the educational/social needs of our 4 year olds? Please elaborate rather than simply answering yes or no. Thank you for your contribution to an important topic.

MarieAlana1 profile image82

Best Answer Marie Alana (MarieAlana1) says

• rebekahELLE profile image

rebekahELLE 3 years ago

Great response. I agree with all that you post. 6 years of age is too late. It is incredible what a preschooler is capable of absorbing and learning in a quality program. All of my children love coming to school. They have fun and learn.

JimTxMiller profile image87

Jim Miller (JimTxMiller) says

• MarieAlana1 profile image

Marie Alana (MarieAlana1) 3 years ago

Very good point!

LauraGT profile image88

LauraGT says

• MarieAlana1 profile image

Marie Alana (MarieAlana1) 3 years ago

I think that you have a point, but I'm a little concerned with your reasoning about how not having it holds women back. Lots of women work longer than the time the elementary kids are at school. I think what the gov't wants is for Pre-k time the same

cat on a soapbox profile image82

Catherine Tally (cat on a soapbox) says

• rebekahELLE profile image

rebekahELLE 3 years ago

There are some parents that simply have no other choice than to work. Some are also going to school. There are also those who have no support system.

tirelesstraveler profile image87

Judy Specht (tirelesstraveler) says

• LauraGT profile image

LauraGT 3 years ago

I think you're underestimating the word "quality" in the question! Any preschool program should be developmentally appropriate, meaning lots of play and small group activities for little ones.

Fastian profile image78

Fastian says

• rebekahELLE profile image

rebekahELLE 3 years ago

The one big problem is that the home environment is not always kept 'ideal'. Children are left in front of tv's, computers, ipads with little to no exposure to other children, playing outside, being in a structured environment. Some kids need this.

• rebekahELLE profile image

rebekahELLE 3 years ago

I respect your response. I totally agree that parents need to be more involved in the learning process, starting at home. Sadly, some think learning should be left to the schools and teachers, and children are unprepared for a learning environment.