Patty Inglish, MS profile image 89

In elementary & middle school, were there errors/myths in biology or other subjects you were taught?

For instance, our local teachers instructed that the kiwi (bird) was extinct and that all men/boys are missing the lowest rib on the left side. Both were myths taught, even in the light of published evidence to the contrary. For instance, we had living kiwis in the zoo at the time. How about your experiences?

jlpark profile image92

Jacqui (jlpark) says

• Patty Inglish, MS profile image

Patty Inglish (Patty Inglish, MS) 2 years ago

I was shocked as I visited the zoo later and saw kiwis walking about and eating food. Thanks for the info & I hope you all do see a Moa . The rib tale was in our 3rd/4th grade health book published 20 years before. Teachers need better help!

mkjohnston81 profile image90

M.K. Bodo (mkjohnston81) says

• Patty Inglish, MS profile image

They need better training, I think, for teaching science. Thank you for the "blue blood" story! I'm sorry that the middle school teacher belittled you!