Insightful Tiger profile image 83

Why do Christians support political parties and join armed forces?

If Jesus said "put down your sword", "pray for your enemies" , "my kingdom is no part of this world", preached about the "kingdom of heaven" and called Satan the "ruler of this world" why do Christians support political parties and join armed forces?

• Insightful Tiger profile image

Insightful Tiger 24 months ago

I also believe that many people are "wanting to have their ears tickled". I appreciate your point about the US Declaration of Independence and the KKK. Very interesting. You made me think of those things in a new light. Thank you.

Jackie Lynnley profile image76

Jackie Lynnley says

• Insightful Tiger profile image

Insightful Tiger 24 months ago

I agree God's people, the Israelites, battled when they were identified by their nationality . After Jesus came, God's people could now be Gentiles and Christians are now found in all countries, even America! So why don't they lay down their swords?

Sri T profile image80

Sri T (the mystic) (Sri T) says

• Insightful Tiger profile image

Insightful Tiger 24 months ago

You make a good point. "a higher, spiritual" power must step in. Jesus spoke of God's kingdom. Daniel also spoke of it in Daniel 2:44.

I understand fear of the consequences of laying down your weapon, but what's the alternative? Becoming a murderer.

Electro-Denizen profile image86

Electro-Denizen says

• Insightful Tiger profile image

Insightful Tiger 24 months ago

Yes it is weird. In WWII the clergy was blessing both sides of the battle. Pope Pius XII actually supported Hitler.

Even Gandhi said that the problem wasn't with Christ and his teachings, but rather with Christians.

DannoMan says

• Insightful Tiger profile image

Insightful Tiger 24 months ago

You bring up a good point about the separation between church and state. I think of when the churches in D.R. influenced their parishioners to support Trujillo. After 30 years of his bloody tyranny, the churches had to apologize to the people of D.R.

Kiss andTales profile image23

Kiss andTales says

• Insightful Tiger profile image

Insightful Tiger 24 months ago

Thank you for the scriptures. I see the point you are making. Jesus is clearly not saying that anarchy is the goal. Rather the point is that if you are loving and peaceful as he was, then you would not war against your brother in any country.