Billie Kelpin profile image 90

If, in fact, the word "obligation" is out of vogue would it be helpful to try to bring it back?

I'm basing my question on the premise that the word "obligation" is uncomfortable to use in modern day society. That assumption may be wrong. However, if it is right, what would happen if we tried to bring it back? When I was a junior in high school, the American Legion sponsored an essay contest which I won. It was called "What are my obligations as a citizen?" Obligations of paying taxes, obligation to our parents, to our spouses, our friends have seemed to have shifted into the realm of it's"nice to be nice", but we have no obligation to do so. What do you think?

maven101 profile image76

maven101 says

• savvydating profile image

savvydating 18 months ago

Give an example, if you will. Your answer is "general."

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 18 months ago

And there it is! What I wanted for my essay - the lack of the feeling of OBLIGATION to pay taxes as members of society. We have to be FORCED to pay them rather than feel it's our obligation. This translates to other areas of obligation

Billie Kelpin profile image90

Billie Kelpin says