Confusion regarding the eligibility for Director/Principal of Engg./Technical Institutes
The Honourable Minister,
Ministry of Human Resource Development,
Government of India, New Delhi
Subject: Confusion regarding the eligibility for Director/Principal of Engg./Technical Institutes
Most humbly and respectfully, we would like to appreciate the initiatives taken by you in making the bodies like All India Council for Technical Education, New Delhi and University Grants Commission, New Delhi more efficient and transparent. The transparency and fairness introduced has improved the images of both these regulatory bodies. We would like to draw your kind attention towards an issue that is becoming a controversy in all the academic institutions regulated by All India Council for Technical Education, New Delhi. The issue is regarding the eligibility for the post of Director/Principal of Engineering or Technical Colleges approved by AICTE.
In this context, following points are brought to your kind notice:
1. The eligibility for the post of Director/ Principal of Technical/Engineering Institutes as per AICTE norms both old as well as new is mentioned in attachments 1 & 2. As per these norms, the persons with Ph.D. in Applied Sciences, i.e., Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics, and humanities are also eligible for this post. This fact is further established as per the information provided by AICTE under RTI Act ( Attachment 3).
2. Currently many colleges are denying the above mentioned eligibility conditions for the persons with Ph. D. in applied sciences, for appointment of Principal/Director. Moreover, we fail to understand how the same norms could be interpreted differently by differently people. This confusion has been created by the persons who were responsible for posting Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and their replies on the AICTE official website. The applied sciences are integral part of all engineering branches. The posts of the Professors/Assistant Professors are sectioned in applied sciences on the same pattern as for engineering branches.
3. The faculty of applied sciences is guiding almost all branches of engineering students for their Ph.D. degree in various institutes.
4. It is pertinent to mention here that at least 30 to 40% Engineering Colleges approved by AICTE, New Delhi all over the country have persons with Ph.D. in these fields as Principals/Directors. Even in TTTIs/NITs persons with applied science background are eligible and occupying the position of director.
5. To surmount this all the IITs which are the torch bearers of technical education in India have no objection in appointing persons having Ph.Ds in disciplines of Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as their directors.
Obviously some vested interests working in the engineering disciplines want to keep a closed network and do not want to allow the persons from other disciples to enter these institutions lest their monopoly is lost. They are suffering from a fear psychosis. In this world of multi-disciplinary teaching and research raising arbitrary barriers cannot save the system for a long time. We fail to understand how a Professor from the disciplines of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics is lesser competent to head a technical institute as compared to a person from engineering discipline. Dr. Homi J. Bhabha, Professor C. V. Raman, Professor Vikaram Sarabai and Prof. P. C. Ray were from the disciplines of Physics/ Chemistry, but their contributions to technology is no less. Only a shortsighted person can overlook the contributions of these pioneers who were never having any engineering degree.
Moreover, by no stretch of imagination persons having engineering degrees are sufficient in number to provide the required manpower to head all the Technical/Engineering Institutes all over the country. Thus, the resolution of this controversy and recognizing the persons available in disciplines like Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as eligible for the post of Directors/ Principals of the Engineering/Technical Institutes will serve the purpose on the one hand and give their due place to the well deserving and qualified persons on the other hand.
In view of the above, your personal intervention is earnestly requested to sort out this matter which has potential of snowballing in a major controversy resulting in unnecessary litigations.
With kind regards,
OLD Eligibility criteria for the post of Director/Principal
FACULTY NORMS for Minimum qualification and experience prescribed for teaching post in technical institutions as mentioned in the earlier AICTE: Hand Book for Approval Process on page number 96.
PRESCRIBED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERINECE
Director / Principal /
Head of Institute
QUALIFICATION & EXPE- RIENCE FOR CANDIDATES FROM TEACHING
QUALIFICATION & EXPERIENCE FOR CANDIDATES FROM INDUSRTY & PROFESSION
Professor in relevant discipline with total experience of 15 (fifteen) years in the field of Teaching / Industry / Research.
The maximum age for holding the post of Director / Principal shall be 65 years.
New eligibility criteria for the post of Director-Principal
New Faculty Norms as mentioned and published in the GAZETTE OF INDIA: EXTRAORDINARY [PART III-SEC.4] under the head ALL INDIA COUNCIL FOR TECHNICAL EDUCATION
[Pay scaled, Services Conditions and Qualifications for the Teachers and other Academic Staff in Technical Institutions (Degree) Regulations, 2010] Notification (Page number 20-35)
Faculty norm (Page number 34)
Qualification as above that is for the posy of Professor, as applicable.
Post PhD publication and guiding publications and guiding PhD students s highly desirable
Minimum of 10 year experience in teaching/ Research/ Industry out of which at least 3 years shall be at the level of Professor.
Minimum of 13 years experience in teaching and/ or Research and/ or Industry.
In case of research experience good academic record and books/ research paper publications/ IPR/ patents record shall be required as deemed fit by the expert members of the selection committee.
If the experience in industry is considered, the same shall be at managerial level equivalent to Professor level with active participation record in devising/ designing, developing, planning, executing, analyzing, quality control, innovating, training, technical books/ research paper publications/ IPR/ patents, etc. as deemed fit by the expert members of the selection committee
Flair for Management and Leadership is essential.
In case of Architecture, Professional Practice of 10 years as certified by the council of Architecture shall also be considered valid.