Pros and Cons of Online Education
The concept of distance learning for on-line diplomas and degrees is a laudable way of getting an education today. With the addition of more courses, and the attainment of higher qualifications possible, the doors of home study are open to more and more students from all over the world.
From a diploma to a master’s degree program, home study has gained so many grounds that many who can’t find the time to attend an on campus college or those with limited funds, have embraced the idea of studying at their own pace, wherever they may reside.
This is great. But is it for everyone?
Though this innovative concept of learning has been around for a while and can be said to be "time tested", it seems to have suddenly led to a shift from the attendance of conventional on campus classes to the enrolment for distance learning online programs.
Home study has many advantages, but it does have its disadvantages as well. But do the cons outweigh the pros of attending distance learning colleges?
Distance Learning - The Pros
Distance education has many advantages and that's the reason for its growing popularity. Its pros include:
- Great savings on time and money because distance education requires no commuting.
- Self paced study allows students to work at their own chosen pace and classes can be 'attended' without the usual class work pressure that obtains with an on campus study.
- Study from any corner of the world, meaning you can live in Timbuktu and study in Iceland, at the click of a mouse.
- The computer and internet skills gained whilst undergoing study can be used and further applied to other facets of living.
- Whether a student is a slow learner or a fast one, a self paced tuition process is a great advantage. A slow learner can take time to assimilate lessons without pressure, and the fast learning student can virtually 'zip' through the online undergraduate course.
- Home study affords easy accessibility to education for physically challenged students with mobility issues that are often encountered in traditional on campus classes.
Hear what Bill Gates has to say....
Not unlike today’s form of distance education, ICS home study courses is the pioneer of what we now know as on-line study, which is somewhat fashioned after distance correspondence courses.
Is studying from home for you?
The Cons of Home Study
It’s good for students planning to attend on-line colleges to know the disadvantages of studying for an undergraduate course, because we can't make it seem all "rosy" without mention of disadvantages of distance learning.
- Attending colleges on-line doesn't offer prompt and immediate feedback that is the norm with the traditional class setting. On campus, student's performance can be assessed on the spot, unlike with distance education colleges where students have to wait for the tutor’s feedback while their works are being reviewed.
- Distance education doesn't offer all courses on the web, so students pursuing certain degrees may not find their courses available. Understandably so, because not all educational programs are suited for an on-line study, a good example being the medical courses.
Distance Education - Thanks to IT technologies
The reason for this great opportunity today stems from the advent of advanced computer and IT technologies, and because of this sole factor, the educational system itself has become revolutionised.
Technological innovations have changed the complete scenario of the learning system with the introduction of the concept of distance education.
Students perspectives on distance learning...
Do you think more people from all over the world will benefit from attending distance education colleges?See results without voting
One significant factor that drives the success of home study is that this type of learning is done through the electronic media, and it is the means of educational interaction between tutors and their on-line students.
Tutoring through distance education colleges is achieved with the use of:
- Voice mails
- On-line video conferencing
- On-line story boards
- Help and guides on-line.
With all these tutoring means and tools employed by distant learning schools, students will also begin to have a better understanding of the technological advancements in education, and those of them who are not really aware of computer applications will gain a good knowledge of its awesome uses.
Plan Ahead Before Deciding
Obtaining an on-line undergraduate degree requires that good planning be made and adhered to.
The students and the tutors often times need to make sacrifices whilst scheduling the time needed to get works done. But once this can be worked out in an acceptable and comfortable way to both parties, everything should work out fine.
Even if you are employed at a day or night job, if you need to 'better yourself' educationally, you can still earn an on-line undergraduate degree whilst doing whatever it is you may be doing.
Be aware of possible added costs that may be incurred if, for example you live out at sea and need to receive physical study materials. And ensuring that an internet connection is available is an aspect of distance education. Depending on where a student resides, the required technology may be complex and/or costly.
However these issues can be surmounted with a determination to achieve a set goal of getting an on-line undergraduate degree.
Home Study is the Way of Future Education
Distance learning may not be acknowledged by all employers, but the good news is that most employers do acknowledge and recognise on-line education just like on campus programs.
Going by today's observations, this attitude won't last for long.
It is now a well known fact that in the not too distant future, attending distance learning colleges will be the norm rather that the exception, and every student will have the opportunity to get an on-line diploma and/or degree from any college of their choice anywhere in the world.
© 2010 viryabo
More by this Author
Getting an education by “attending” long distance correspondence schools, otherwise known as 'ICS Learn', will give you the same known qualities of the traditional form of education without having to reside...
Getting an HND Interior Design qualification makes you eligible to offer both simple residential and commercial design services, meaning you can practice as a professional.
There are different charging and billing methods employed by a professional and certified interior designer to bill clients for interior design services rendered.