Astonishing facts about our planet - Earth! (Miscellaneous)
- The North Magnetic Pole is about 1600 kms from the true North Pole. While the South Magnetic Pole is about 2570 kms from the South Pole.
- Life on Earth began about 3,500 million years ago, just after 1,100 million years of its origin.
- Among the 50 big rivers of the world, Nile is 6,650 km long and Amazon 6,450 km long.
- Atacama desert of Chile never had any rainfall for about 400 years until 1971. It is considered as the driest plateau across the world.
- The oldest known rocks, found in Western Australia are about 3,200 million years old - about 300 million years younger than the planet itself.
- Water which has been evaporated today from the oceans will reach back after a period of 1,000 years.
- The greatest tides occur in the bay of Fundy.
- Man has made beautiful and long bridges all over the world, but Nature has made bridges of its own. Such a highest natural bridge exists in sinkiang, china, which is 312 mts high with a span of 45 mts.
- Due to the global warming effect, the level of water in the caspian sea has started rising. This is a warning to human race that any day, the continents may become over-flooded.
- Lowest point : Dead sea
- Largest Desert : Sahara
- Deepest Lake : Lake Baikal
- Largest Island : Greenland
- Highest peak : Mt. Everest-8848 mts
- Largest sea : South China Sea
- Largest and Deepest ocean : Pacific
- Newest Island : Lateiki
- Highest waterfall : Angel falls
- Largest Delta : Ganga & Brahmaputra in Bangladesh
- Largest salt water lake : Caspian sea
- Largest fresh water lake : Lake superior
- Longest Glacier : Lambert Glacier
- Surface area of earth : 510,101,000 sq. kms.
More by this Author
Sharks don't usually attack humans. We are not their natural prey. We get attacked because we resemble some of their prey and the shark makes a mistake in murky waters. For example we look a lot like a seal swimming in...
It is possible to see a rainbow as a complete circle from an aeroplane. A litre of vinegar is heavier in winter than in summer. A barrel of juice or wine would take about a year or two to ferment naturally into...
These are the world's most dangerous, deadly snakes for humans: Find out about the habits of each snake, where they live, and how to avoid them.