Eleven most expensive fighter jet aircraft in the world
Of course, the list of fighter aircraft includes strategic bombers, stealth jets, and multifunctional combat aircraft and I am happy to prepare this list here. One more thing, I have marked the numbers to these fighter jets in reverse order, so the cheapest is displayed right here and the most expensive is at the end. Read on.
11. F/A-18 Hornet: Cost 94 million USDThe F/A-18 Hornet was first used in a combat in Operation Desert Storm. This is an aircraft that can attack both air and ground targets. This aircraft is currently serving the United States Navy "Blue Angels" demonstration team and the US Navy in general. Other countries including Australia, Canada, Finland, Malaysia, Kuwait, Switzerland and Spain are also using F/A-18 Hornet. This aircraft is serving since 1980s.
10. EA-18G Growler: Cost 102 million USDThe EA-18G Growler is a two seat American carrier-based warfare aircraft which is an improved version of the previous F/A-18 Hornet. This electronic attack aircraft is not only able to disrupt the anti-radar aircraft of the enemy, but it also interferes with enemy communications with its advanced electronic warfare technology.
9. V-22 Osprey: Cost 118 million USD
V-22 Osprey is a military warfare tiltrotor aircraft that is capable of performing short take and landing which is called VTOL technology and vertical take off and landing which is called STOL technology. It can land just like a helicopter, but do not consider V-22 to be just like a helicopter as it has the ability to fly faster and comes under the category of competent jet fighters. This unique aircraft become popular after it was first used in combat in Iraq in 2007. This aircraft is also famous for killing at least 30 marine soldiers and civilians due to some technical design and construction defaults at the time of its development but despite this the U.S. Marine Corps V-22 s Osprey finds groove in Afghanistan.
8. F-35 Lightning II: Cost 122 million USDThis most advanced combat aircraft in the world was developed by Lockheed Martin as part of "Joint Strike Fighter Program" which is currently modified as Joint Advanced Strike Technology between United States of America and its allies. Between 2007 and 2008, there was some news all over the world that Cyber spies have infiltrated the computer network of JSF and have stolen design records containing thousands of codes for implementation of Joint Strike Fighter program which raised concerns that now it would be possible for the enemy to copy the design of the F-35 Lightning and could develop an improved version after knowing its weaknesses. In April of 2009, Lockheed Martin claimed that their program is not compromised and there are no security threats to their system.
7. B-1B Lancer Strategic Bomber: Cost 200 million USD
This strategic bomber was developed by Rockwell Foundation to serve the United States Air Force in 1980s to support a nuclear mission with numerous other planes. It is interesting to note that this strategic bomber as it name suggests is the backbone of USA’s long range bomber force.
6. E-2D Advanced Hawkeye: Cost 232 million USD
This 232-million-dollar aircraft is a very important step for surveillance, reconnaissance, and target acquisition. This latest version of the previous E-2 Hawkeye has a powerful and advanced radar system that will increase approximately 300% the range of territory that an aircraft can handle. The development of E-2D Advanced Hawkeye has been completed and 2 test versions were sent to the United States Navy. US also offered Northrop Grumman E-2D Advanced Hawkeye to India which will serve the Indian Defense as a strategic defensive and spy aircraft.
5. VH-71 Kestrel: Cost 241 million USDRecently, President Barack Obama ordered the design and construction of high-tech VH-71 Kestrel helicopters in order to replace the aging fleet of presidential helicopters but shortly after the inauguration of this, President Obama announced to suspend the production of this helicopter because of its high cost but finally on 22nd of July, the Committee on Appropriations of the United States House of representatives unanimously approved 485 million UDS to finance these big VH-71 Kestrel helicopters.
4. P-8A Poseidon: Cost 290 million USDThe P-8A Poseidon is an improved version of Boeing 737 that will be used by the U.S. Navy to conduct anti-submarine warfare and intelligence activities. It is slated to carry missiles, torpedoes, and other weapons required by the US Navy but this 290 million dollar aircraft will enter service in 2013.
3. C-17A Globemaster III: Cost 328 million USDThe C-17A Globemaster military warfare aircraft is used by the United States Armed Forces to move troops towards war zones. This aircraft will also help USAF in emergenc medical evacuation missions and to carry out launches of paratroopers. The C-17A Globemaster entered service in 1993 and since then, it has delivered troops and humanitarian aid in Iraq and Afghanistan.
2. F-22 Raptor Stealth Jet: Cost 350 million USD versus PAK FA New Launch by Russia
Special Report: Up until now, the F-22 Raptor had been the most advanced fighter jet in the world and was designed initially by company Lockheed Martin Corporation for the United States Armed Forces during the Cold War to confront and "compete" against next-generation Russian fighter jet which today is in the news. According to the Daily Times, Russia has produced an all-new advanced stealth fighter to rival against F-22 Raptor. This is a fifth generation fighter aircraft known as PAK FA which has been developed by the famous Sukhoi company and can travel above the speed of sound and is able to create or alter database from satellites and other planes while flying at its topmost speed. This report of Daily Times says that PAK FA’s launch test has been successful.
Now coming back to F-22 Raptor, it is well known that Raptor is a multi-mission high tech plane of its kind and can carry out missions including air to air combats, air to ground assaults, electronic warfare, can bring down enemy cruise missiles. F-22 can fly long distances at supersonic speeds as seen in the STEALTH movie and becomes invisible in front of all types of radar systems of enemies due to its stealth technology. F‑22 Raptor entered United States Armed Forces service officially in December 2005 as F-22A, but on July 21st, 2009, the United States Senate voted unanimously to stop production of 7 more than the 187 aircraft already ordered because of its high manufacturing costs.
1. B-2 Spirit Bomber: Cost 2.400 million USD
Oh my God. The B-2 Spirit bomber is so expensive that the United States Congress in 1987 reduced its initial purchase order from 132 to 21 aircraft. Currently, 20 B-2 Spirit are in service after the crash of one Spirit in 2008. The reason behind its being so costly is that a B-2 Spirit is very difficult to detect through infrared signals and electromagnetic or radar signals due to its highly advanced stealth technology. Due to this ability, this warfare aircraft can stealthily penetrate any enemy’s targets and destroy them anywhere in the world without being detected on the radars. B-2 Spirit was used in the war in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Kosovo.
More by this Author
This hub briefly explains the purpose of thrust vectoring Sukhoi Su-30 MKI. It also explains in great detail the two-dimensional and three-dimensional thrust vectoring and the difference between them. Aircraft that use...
F-35 Lightening from USA, UK, Norway, Australia LCA Tejas from India JAS Gripen from Sweden F-16 Falcon from USA Below are a few characteristics and pros and cons of the above-mentioned aircraft. This is not a...
Getting pregnant with irregular periods is not very easy but not impossible at the same time. The first thing which comes in everyone’s mind who is reading this topic is that a women can get pregnant easily if she is...