Know About Big Cats
The cat family (Felidae) is one of the most beautiful creations of nature. As other creatures, they also have some amazing fact..........
Here are some facts about the members of the cat family:
- The muzzle of a lion is just like fingerprint. No two lion shares the same pattern of whiskers.
- A lion’s roar can be heard up to 5 miles.
- A lion spends 20 hours or more resting a day.
- Lions are poor tree climbers but they can jump up to 36 feet high.
- Lions can run with a speed of 37 mph.
- Lions are the only feline with tuffs at the end of their tails.
- Except in Sahara, Leopards are present throughout the Africa.
- Leopards can go a month without water.
- No two leopards have same patterns of spots on their body.
- Cheetah is the fastest mammal in the world. It can run with a speed of 70 mph and can maintain its speed for 1000 feet.
- Cheetahs are the only cats which cannot retract is own claws.
- Cheetah can cover up to 23 feet with its every stride.
- Tigers have stripped skin and not just stripped fur.
- A tiger can leap up to 30 feet.
- The length of tiger’s tail is about half the length of its body.
- An adult tiger has 30 teeth.
- Cougar uses its tail for balancing its body in hilly areas.
- Fishing cats actually do fishing by sitting on rock or on a bank by scooping fish that comes near them using one of their front paws.
- Leopard can eat everything starting from insects to giraffe.
- In clouded leopards, male cubs grow faster than the female cubs.
- The lion is the only big cat that has a unique mane in mature males.
- A female lion do most of the hunting and prefers to hunt on early evening.
- Lion, Leopards and Jaguar are the great cats. Only great cats have the ability to roar.
- White tigers are the result of dormant mutated gene found in Bengal tigers. They are very rare in wild.
- A Tiger cub makes his first kill in about 18 months of age.
- The extinct subspecies of Tiger are- Caspian Tiger, Javan Tiger and Bali Tiger.
- The Barbary Lion which is extinct now, was the largest and spectacular big cat.
- Clouded Leopards are named so because they have cloud like markings on their body.
- Jaguar produces the most powerful bite among all the members of the cat family.
- Ocelots are of the similar appearance like the domestic cats and it produces mewing sound.
- The fur of Ocelot resembles to that of Clouded Leopard or Jaguar.
- A tiger are great swimmers and spends some hour’s everyday day to cool off.
- Black Leopards are called Panthers.
- The Amur Leopard is the largest of all cats. It can grow up to 13 feet from head to tail.
- Clouded Leopard has the longest canine teeth.
- Generally the males are larger than females.
More by this Author
Blue whale is the largest mammal and the largest animal every lived on earth. However, it's sad that this huge creature is now enlisted under the endangered list of animals.
A brief history on how calligraphy came into existence and became popular.
Universe is an amazing place, full of stars, planets and what not. Today we're looking up at 5 amazing stars of the universe.