jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Society is dumb and boring. But mostly dumb.

1. 60
    Madderredposted 4 years ago via iphone

At this precise moment in time, I have been having trouble coming to terms with ignorance, and the refusal for people to co-operate with life, and it's attempts to 'live' inside of an empty shell (society or the individual, which ever you are more angry at) that has no opinion or personality of it's own.
    Today's fiery ball of frustration was first set in motion by the words 'I can't be bothered' by a couple of my friends. We were going to go see a local band, live music is one of my favourite things in life and this pair (the band) are good. The foundation and the future of real rock and roll music in our local area, I actually didn't go in the end because none of my friends could be bothered.
    I don't understand 'can't be bothered' I hate not doing anything. And I know you're probably thinking, 'why not go on your own' but, I'm not prepared to do that, for various reasons. Anyway, since then I have read a bit, listened a bit, followed and un-followed a bit (because social networking totally proves my point) but the point is, I feel like I am more enlightened in life than I was seven hours ago. When asking my friends how their evening had been, fatty foods, carbonated drinks and TV of the least stimulating kind seemed to be filling the conversation. R.I.P to the braincells that lost their lives today. That's just boring people angering me. I decided I would bring up something that was bugging me at the exact moment I was talking to my friend on the phone, how do these kitchen scales measure any liquid. I don't understand it, how does it magically know the density of any liquid, it's a recurring problem that I have to try to figure out (un-successfully) every time I use them. I can't even repeat what the reply was.
    Situations like this seem to be occurring so much more lately, I'm not sure whether I am realising how dumb everyone is more, since we left school, or whether everyone has just got really ignorant since we left school.
    I saw an argument on the definition of dumb on this forum, which is what inspired me to sign up, and voice my own thoughts (even if no one cares, at least I will feel better) it argued that 'stupid' and 'ignorant' were two different types of dumb, stupid being someone who has had countless opportunities to learn and better themselves, and ignorant being someone who can't help their surroundings and situation. I don't know if it was a typo, I feel that the definition is wrong.
    Ignorant people are people who refuse to except logic when proof is pushed in their faces, this is sometimes caused by stupidity, but generally just because they are intolerable people who think they know better than everyone else. They appear to have a wall of blissful delusion shielding them from scary knowledge, even the basic type that is learning from repetition and experience. Like rats.
    Rats aren't ignorant, they just smell.
    What an ignorant comment to make, everything smells.
    I don't like the smell of rats*
    So, that's ignorance.
    Stupidity, is a genuine inability to learn, the individual can't help their being dumb if they are stupid. It's politer than ignorance, and doesn't anger me quite as much. Stupidity should probably be classed as a disability.

So, the point of this post, at 2 in the morning, quickly sprawled on my phone was to find out your views (and ranting to make myself feel better;) I would like to know; What do you think of dumb people? What's your definition of a dumb person? Ignorance and stupidity? Do you have trouble communicating with the other side? How can we help them? Should we help them?
    And anything else you have to say on the subject.

P.S. I am really enjoying this song today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDMkTkTcXEQ

Let me know what you think:)
    Lots of love, Cerberus.

1. 60
      factotum666posted 4 years ago in reply to this

If you are 1/2 as smart as you think that you are --- which is about where I would place you, though at least you are trying, and have a fairly long attention span, which you probably do as evidenced by your writing this little article, then you may benefit by entering the two words orwells boot into any search engine and reading the item at the top of the list.  Under the name factotum666 or dnusbaum.com   (sometimes I am 1 AND 2 --- depending on the search engine)

2. udontnomi profile image59
    udontnomiposted 4 years ago

Sorry, you aren't helping it along.

3. NateB11 profile image92
    NateB11posted 4 years ago

Someone who is ignorant is not aware, they don't see, in any kind of a deep or significant way, what it is they do. The most you can do is point it out to them, if you yourself understand very clearly what it is they are doing. It is up to them to actually see it, you can only point to it. Some stupid people are unable to face their stupidity and usually they just try to be intelligent; in other words, try to be what they're not; they would be better off facing their stupidity instead of avoiding it by putting up the front that they're intelligent; if they faced it honestly, they could end it. Stupidity is giving the wrong  value to things created by mind and hand.

4. Tusitala Tom profile image89
    Tusitala Tomposted 4 years ago

Keep being interested in the things which interest you.   Take action on your interests.  You'll eventually draw the people and events you dwell on into your life.   It's a psychological law.  Just keep doing this and forget about how or when it will come about.  It will.