jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

The Time Between College Graduation And Finding A Job

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

It has been said that the average time that a college graduate finds employment( these are in better socioeconomic times) range between six months and a year.     However, in these precarious socioeconomic times, it takes MUCH MUCH longer for college graduates to find employment, especially suitable employment.      While some parents are understanding and aware of this, other parents believe that their children should be able to obtain employment immediately after graduation and deem their children as failures if they are unable to find work within that time frame!    How long did it take you to find a job after graduating from college?

1. professorjeff profile image60
      professorjeffposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, my first job was in the computer field some 20 years ago. To get that programming job, it took me over two years. However, I only had a technical certificate, not a college degree. I could have taken the same route without the certificate, working my way up, as I discovered that's how many in the field did it. Few programmers I met had degrees. The second time, I obtained a position at a local college before I obtained my masters. So maybe that one made up for all the difficulty obtaining my first job.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, I graduated in the 80s. I got a contract full-time job right away but it probably took me 2 years to get a permanent full-time job. But, I did work at temporary government jobs until I did find that permanent job. Without those government jobs I don't know what I would have done smile

Now those jobs are not so plentiful, especially in the library field which I graduated in.

2. Kevin Peter profile image73
    Kevin Peterposted 4 years ago

I immediately got a job, though had to wait only for 1 month to find a job with my own effort and skills

3. Brownie83 profile image85
    Brownie83posted 4 years ago

After graduating with my Bachelor of Science in Nursing, I was hired before I graduated or passed my NCLEX exam. Now, after graduating with my Masters in Nursing I have been unemployed for five weeks and have applied to over 20 positions in my current state. It seems that all employers want 2-3 years experience for Nurse Practitioners although RN positions are still more accepting to new graduates. I'm not sure how these employers expect all NP's to have experience; how are the new graduates supposed to even start? At least I am in the healthcare field which means my services will be needed some day hmm

1. KenChase profile image61
      KenChaseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If you move to Florida, you will likely find work on your first day. Search employflorida.com for a job in nursing.

4. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

One thing any sensible person should be doing if at all possible is looking for a job *before* they graduate.  That is when you are still connected to college mentoring and networks.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That is totally recommended.   The time to look for a job is during senior year in college.  It is time to utilize the college career centers and internment experience gained.   Excellent premise, psycheskinner!

5. KenChase profile image61
    KenChaseposted 4 years ago

Two years and counting.