jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Changing Definition Of Family

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Family used to be people related either by consanguity or by marriage.   However, family is now being increasingly defined as people we have love, respect, and commonality with!     In other words, family does not necessarily mean blood relations.   The definition of family is constantly changing and evolving!   Do you agree or not?

1. Quilligrapher profile image87
      Quilligrapherposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi gmwilliams. You raise an interesting point that is no stranger to writers. I not only agree but I think it is a good thing.

Not only is “family” in transition but also the word “marriage.” “Family” is slowly evolving to include “extended family” and, even further, to reflect the growing DNA evidence that all humans are related. The meaning of “marriage” will likewise adapt to changing social customs. Dynamic languages change constantly. It's nothing new and not at all a bad thing.

gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Of  course not!   Change can be indeed a good thing!

2. soconfident profile image79
      soconfidentposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree some of my closes friends would be considered my family.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image94
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I know my answer will not be popular here, but I am old fashioned and i believe family should mean those who are related by blood, marriage or adoption.  I think when you start blurring the lines, you run into genetic problems that can eventually wreak havoc in society.  But, that's just me!

4. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Family has always clearly included non-blood relations such a spouses (including common law) or adopted children.  Thus the line was pre-blurred.  Most people with pets stated they were "family" in a recent survey.  I am sure other family friends, colleagues, fellows in a religious order etc can be in that category. 

If that is what people feel, that is what they should say.  I would respect a person's own choice in saying who their family is.

2. Greek One profile image81
    Greek Oneposted 4 years ago

People you speak about in therapy sessions when you are an adult

gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

GOOD ONE!

3. Reality Bytes profile image93
    Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago

A Juggalo has fam everywhere.

All that is needed is to shout a few Whoop Whoops to meet family anywhere!

Juggalo Family

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p … 0family%20