jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Alpha Female or Beta Female

1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

The alpha female is the woman who is quite comfortable with being in charge.   She is unapologetically strong and knows it.   She does not tolerate weakness in herself and in others.   She refuse to suffer fools gladly.   She is more comfortable being in leadership positions and calling the shots.   She is never afraid to go after what she wants. 

The beta female by contrast is more of the submissive type.   She is the traditional woman and is quite comfortable in that role.   She is afraid of being aggressive because she believes that feminine women should never be aggressive.   She views men as protectors instead of equal partners.   In other words, she wants to be taken care of.    She is more comfortable being a follower than a leader. 

Whiile the more traditional man is quite comfortable with the beta female, the more modern and liberated man enjoys the alpha female because she is more his equal.   The alpha female can carry her own while the beta female wants someone to depend upon and wants to be rescued.    Do you agree with this premise?   Why?  Why not?

1. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60
      Jo_Goldsmith11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I know, I do agree! I believe I am in the *middle of both* the alpha and the beta woman. I enjoy being rescued and be a follower and sometimes I do get agressive and *want things my way*. Other times, I enjoy being submissive and follow the status quo. I think to be totally one or the other can leave a person lacking the ability or experience to see life from the other perspective. I am a Gemini, maybe this has something to do with it. Maybe it could be because I choose to stay centered as much as possible. This for me makes my life a whole heck of a lot easier! smile  Great topic disscusion! Cheers! smile

2. EmpressFelicity profile image83
    EmpressFelicityposted 4 years ago

I love a bit of false dichotomy in the mornings.

Sorry, that's a bit rude. But yeah, false dichotomy. What about the "gamma female", who can't understand why everyone should be categorised as either hammer or anvil?

gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, there are some of us who lean one way or another.

2. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60

what is gamma? seriously! Please tell

1. EmpressFelicity profile image83
        EmpressFelicityposted 4 years ago in reply to this

From the Greek alphabet - alpha, beta, gamma, delta... I can't remember the rest. Not in the right order, anyway.

1. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60

well? what are you waiting for? I think you should write a hub on this subject and find out what the third one is! If I like it, I may publish it in a book! smile

3. jenb0128 profile image95
      jenb0128posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't like such categorizations either. I personally prefer to be in a partnership where neither one of us is the alpha or beta. By that, I mean we're on the same level.

gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Wrote a hub on the alpha female.   It would be an interesting take to write a hub on the gamma female.   Even though there are females who have a combination of both aggressive and soft characteristics, there are women who exhibit more dominant characteristics while there are others are exhibit more submissive characteristics.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Even wolves don't have simple linear hierarchies; people certainly don't. We can share, lead in some areas and not others, or go by consensus.

I find people who have to always be in charge, or refuse to ever be in charge of anything, equally annoying.

4. Pamela N Red profile image91
    Pamela N Redposted 4 years ago

I tend to be a beta and give no apologies for it. It works for my marriage and has for many years.

Most women don't realize that just because you are a beta doesn't mean you don't have control. Watch any southern woman and you'll see you get more bears with honey than you do vinegar.

I've sweet talked my way into getting what I want on many occasions with him thinking it was his idea in the end. smile

working