jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (21 posts)

The great apes and humans share 97% of genetic material.

1. steveso profile image74
    stevesoposted 4 years ago

Scientists tell us that the great apes and humans share 97% of genetic material. Does that remaining 3% of genetic material explain human intelligence AND explain why humans are so violent?

1. profile image0
      jomineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Humans are not more violent, it's their technological advancement that make it look gory.

stevesoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't recall apes waging war or killing for no reason.

1. profile image0

Nobody fight without reason, neither apes nor humans. And the reasons are always the same - food and sex. Well, it is not politically correct to state the obvious.

2. Melissa A Smith profile image93
          Melissa A Smithposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Why are you stating completely incorrect facts? Of course humans have a reason for why they fight. Try asking them. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean there is no reason. And yes, animals fight too. They aren't going to be getting into complex ideological disagreements because they cannot communicate like us, so their conflicts are more primitive, instinctual ones. If you look at the human and chimp brain you can see the apparent differences between us. Their skull is shaped differently and doesn't support as large brain growth as ours. There's likely more to the story as well, but perhaps it does lie in that '3%' of DNA.

stevesoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's not an incorrect fact that humans are violent. Look at the number of wars throughout human history. Look at the senseless killings that happen every day. I realize that there is a difference in brains size, as anyone knows, but what I am getting at is the fact that because we are more intelligent doesn't not make us less violent and more civilized.

1. profile image0

When it comes to resources almost all animals are violent. If you could teach a gorilla how to use a machine gun he would be as violent as a human. It is the availability of weapons and the greater population strength that make human appear more violent than other animals.

2. Melissa A Smith profile image93
              Melissa A Smithposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Intelligence has nothing to do with peace-loving and civility, that would depend more on the nature of the animal. For instance, bonobos are innately more' peaceful because they've evolved to resolve conflict with intercourse. Your incorrect information was in indicating that other animals aren't as violent, and that humans fight for "no reason". Animals can't communicate like us plus, are confined to their natural orders but they are often violent when the proper situation arises. We just, as a species have far more opportunities and ideological conflicts that lead to 'wars' and fighting. We also have higher awareness, and less instinct. I don't know if that further answers your question.

3. A Troubled Man profile image60
              A Troubled Manposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Every day, on every street corner, in every household? Sorry, but what you're describing are the actions of a very tiny minority of people. Or, do you kill people every day, yourself?

3. psycheskinner profile image79
          psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Apes do indeed have inter-troop violent war, sometimes completely wiping out the other group (a.k.a. genocide). They have also been seen to commit murder, and infanticide at a rate comparable to humans.

4. A Troubled Man profile image60

So, if you met a human and an ape on the street, which one has the most probability of showing you violence?

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If we can find the 3% missing - all we need to do it remove that and we will be docile and friendly. big_smile

3. Seth Winter profile image84
      Seth Winterposted 4 years ago in reply to this

And Pigs are supposed to be 98 or 99 percent similar to humans.

But that 3 percent doesn't mean a single thing...apes kill for territory just like humans. They maim just like humans...it's true.

2. Tusitala Tom profile image89
    Tusitala Tomposted 4 years ago

I thought the difference was less than 3%.   However, I was watching a documental on genes the other night on television and apparently Science has recently discovered that they've only been concentrating on about 5% on the gene pool.  The other 95% up until that time was regarded as being of no consequence (because it couldn't be indentified a 'gene stuff' - if I might put it that crudely.    Now, they've just started in the last year or so to look at that 95%.   Should be very interesting to see what is discovered (or is in unconvered?)

3. Dame Scribe profile image59
    Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago

I always found it interesting that humans are as hairy if not moreso than apes tongue ours is only 'finer' lol

1. pisean282311 profile image58
      pisean282311posted 4 years ago in reply to this

@dame that one was not human...it was ape which u encountered lol

2. Seth Winter profile image84
      Seth Winterposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well then as a individual that is not very hairy does that mean I'm more evolved then my hairier fellows?

1. A Troubled Man profile image60

Not really, it just shows diversity among species.

2. Dame Scribe profile image59
        Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I read a article somewhere online tongue a guy was trying to say, the more hairier a person is the closer to animals they were but I prefer to agree with the 'diversity' among our species smile

4. pisean282311 profile image58
    pisean282311posted 4 years ago

3% gives humans stupidity like religion , identity etc...

5. psycheskinner profile image79
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

It is also worth mentioning that the 97% relates to a genes with a similar function in a similar place.  The rate for identical bases pairs would be far lower.

working