Help From Folks Familiar With Lacan's Gaze Theory

1. EsmeSanBona profile image88
    EsmeSanBonaposted 3 years ago

I'm cross-posting here because it appears I originally posited this question in the wrong forum. 

If anyone has any information or some understanding regarding Jacques Lacan's "gaze" theories, I would love it if that could be shared.  I am only a tiny bit familiar with Lacan's work and then only from the standpoint of post-structural literary criticism, but I came across his cognitive psychological gaze theory the other day in the course of some research and I want to understand it better. 

Even if you don't know, but would care to investigate the subject and share your understanding of it, that would be great.  Then we could compare notes and see if we're gleaning the same thing from the work.  That would also be awesome.

2. thirdmillenium profile image73
    thirdmilleniumposted 3 years ago
  3. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 3 years ago

The object of "gaze" is affected by the viewer. I don't know how you translate that to psychology. Perhaps when a person stares at another person, the object of attention is affected by the stare and reacts in a way. That is why there is objectification of women as they say in films and that critical theories like the feminist theorists like this theory.