College Not So Beneficial for the Majority of Graduates

1. SoManyPaths profile image61
    SoManyPathsposted 3 years ago

I have seen a few reports and now have to seriously think about tuition costs for college which lessens the risk/reward ratios.

my tuition was only $3,000 a year  & books ranged from $25 to $50

Any other substantiated independent reports on the benefits besides what has been propagated already?

1. Quilligrapher profile image88
      Quilligrapherposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I would say you are off to a great start. Keep it up! Your costs are relatively low and your earning potential will be much higher when and if you earn a degree.

The US Census Bureau, in a report titled "The Big Payoff: Educational Attainment and Synthetic Estimates of Work-Life Earnings" may help you to gain a better perspective. {1}{2} “Over an adult's working life, high school graduates can expect, on average, to earn $1.2 million; those with a bachelor's degree, $2.1 million; and people with a master's degree, $2.5 million.

“Persons with doctoral degrees earn an average of $3.4 million during their working life, while those with professional degrees do best at $4.4 million.”

The future payoff of a million dollars in return for four years lost wages and about $13K tuition for a bachelor's degree is well worth the investment.

Good luck to you. I hope you stay the course and have a Happy New Year too.
      {2} … rnings.htm

2. SoManyPaths profile image61
    SoManyPathsposted 3 years ago

My mistake. Maybe I should return to college. I had meant that my tuition costs 20 years was around $3,000 for books and tuition. But I do appreciate the encouragement and supporting facts.  Thanks