How do you think language affects the human mind?

1. MentisLudos profile image63
    MentisLudosposted 3 years ago

For a few months now I have been delving into the world of psycholinguistics. I have a basic understanding of the effects and the topic as a whole. Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what you guys thought about the effect of language on our minds. Preferably, go as deep into the subject as you can as I truly want to see what others think about this. To get some minds jogging, I'll propose a simple question to go along with the topic: Why do you think that in the sentence "It isn't going to work." that if we were to expand it to "It is not going to work." that the second sentence is subconciously more emphasized than the first even if both sentences were spoken or read with the same inflection?

1. bBerean profile image61
      bBereanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It will be interesting to see if everyone has the same response or not.  To me, "isn't," being a contraction, doesn't seem to pack much punch.  "Is not" however, sounds like a very certain and confident negative affirmation.  I believe the second sentence is more likely to be influential.

1. MentisLudos profile image63
        MentisLudosposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I have to agree with you on the affirmation. I feel as if contractions as a whole are more casual and thus are subconsciously thought of as so. It is as if we think that if someone doesn't take the time to spell out or say both words that they are not trying to be as impacting on a certain subject. However, it may also be a stylistic process in order to make their sentence more appealing.