jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

There are many people who have an entitlement and wanting to be

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

rescued mentality.   This is so obvious in that there are people who are on welfare multigenerationally.   Even though the American socioeconomic climate is more precarious, there is still myriad opportunities to improve oneself socioeconomically if one wishes to do so.  Let us discuss this.   There are people who pull themselves up by their bootstraps while there are others who are passive, dependent, and want OTHERS to take them away from their impoverished situation.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

As long as they can, seems to me, they will.  The trick is to separate those that won't support themselves from those that can't.

2. timorous profile image92
    timorousposted 3 years ago

Unfortunately, far too many people were brought up in conditions where there seems little hope of making a useful life, or something to aspire to. They seem to think they lack something (absolutely untrue!), and perhaps feel sorry for themselves more often than not. Or they're jealous of those who have achieved some measure of success. They don't realize these more successful people put some hard work and effort into it..they weren't born into it, nor were they 'entitled'. What these poor people lack is ambition..a passion for something. Some people might say, they're just lazy, but that's just a cop-out. They just haven't been given the right opportunities to find out what they're really good at.

You can be poor but still be happy, it's all about your perceptions. You need to look beyond your circumstances, plus adopt a positive attitude, and a determination to break out of your situation. Find your passion and go for it. Learn, learn, learn.

gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I concur with you a multillion percent.   You could not have elucidated what I have said more eloquently and succinctly.

3. DIYmommy profile image77
    DIYmommyposted 3 years ago

While I think governments are important, primarily for national defense, security and protection, I do have some great concerns about government involvement deeper into lives of citizens. I know that not everyone may be American here, but, unfortunately, I do think many people are becoming TOO reliant on the government. Politicians know this, and think many of them prefer it. When you can make someone "reliant" on you, you can more easily control them.

gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well said.