jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Home school

1. 0
    reserve27posted 3 years ago

Is home schooling a better alternative for kids? If parents can spare the time?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
      MelissaBarrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It's a better alternative for my family, that doesn't mean it's a better alternative for any other family.

2. Kevin Peter profile image74
      Kevin Peterposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Home schooling is a very good alternative if the parents are educated and they are willing to spare their time for kids. But going to school have many other benefits that are not available in home schooling. Children need to mingle with other children who come from various circumstances. There are many qualities they learn when they are along with other kids of the same age group.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Very true, but curriculum also plays a part.  In the lower grades many parents can do just fine, but high school science is beyond most.  Very few parents have the resources to teach physics, chemistry, biology, etc. at a high school level.  They just don't have the equipment nor supplies necessary to do the job - how many homes have bunsen burners, fume hoods, high quality microscopes or scales accurate to 1/100 of a gram available?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
          MelissaBarrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

There are plenty of ways around those limitations Wilderness. 

Homeschool groups often share resources and college students are cheap tutors. 

Colleges offer classes available to the general public and it's not unheard of to hear of high-school level homeschooled children taking actual college courses for credit.

It's a subculture with enormous resources that most people don't realize exist.

1. 0
            Motown2Chitownposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Out of curiosity, as a homeschooling parent....have you educated all of your children this way from the beginning or no?  My question is to find out how to convince a high school freshman (almost sophomore) to choose homeschooling.  I certainly don't want to force her into it, but I'm interested.

2. kerryg profile image85
            kerrygposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yup, that's what I did. We did high school science and foreign language at the local community college and English, history, math, etc. at home.The credits even transferred when I went to college, so I was able to graduate a year early.

I also took two online AP courses (English lit and European history) via a homeschool group in Pennsylvania - this was in the mid-90's, so it was all email based, but these days I imagine similar courses can do lectures and everything.

3. 0
      Motown2Chitownposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Not to stir up any controversy, or question anyone's motives.  But I hear that a lot - is it better if one can 'spare the time.'  I think that if a person chooses to home school their children, it really needs to be a priority, not just something someone does in their spare time.  IMO, that's why it's unsuccessful in so many cases.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

It depends on the parent/s, and the kid/s, and the quality of the other available options.

3. Monisajda profile image82
    Monisajdaposted 3 years ago

It depends on your circumstances, personality and so on. I homeschool and my daughters like it. There are many factors to consider. Personally, I am happy that we chose to homeschool.

If you are interested to dive into homeschooling, consider joining homeschooling groups and finding friends who support your decision. It is hard to do it alone.

4. 59
    ldavis1229posted 3 years ago

I believe home schooling works. But, I have enrolled my two children in a good public school. It has been 5yrs now since they have been going and I have no regret with my decision. I wanted to home school but as a parent I knew it would have to be a 100% focus and dedication on my part. I simply could not afford the time. I found a good school and I really wanted my children to interact and know how to act in a social environment. That is good for them, (human contact). What I am trying to say is Go for it. But please involve them in sports activities, social age events, etc. . . Good luck.